According to Bogle the apartment did have a working smoke detector that did in fact activate when the incident occurred. Although the occupant of the apartment didn’t wake up when the detector activated, residents in adjoining apartments heard the detector, investigated and called 911. The smoke detector was recently installed by the fire department at the request of the neighbors, not the occupant. When approached the occupant did agree to the installation.
“The activation of this working smoke detector not only saved the life of the occupant and the residents in the adjoining apartments but also saved what could have been millions of dollars in loss to the city of Centerville,” said Bogle.
Anyone interested in receiving a smoke detector or having the batteries checked in their detector may call (641) 856-2314, visit the fire department’s website at www.centervillefire–ia.com or visit the fire department’s Facebook page to make a request.