Robert Harl, age 83 of Centerville died Thursday, July 6, 2006 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center, Centerville.
He was born Nov.12, 1922 in Pulaski, the son of James and Mary (Fordemwalt) Harl.
He was married to Doris Eleanor Werts on Jan. 18, 1944 at Fort Hueneme, Calif. She preceded him in death Nov. 4, 2001.
He graduated from Pulaski High School and entered the U.S. Navy in 1939. He was a member of the submarine fleet and was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. Robert was the youngest Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy.
He served from 1939-1948 in the Southern Pacific. Doris joined him in 1946 with their daughter, Cathy. Robert’s son, Richard, was born in Guam in 1948. While living in Russell, daughter, Terri, and son, Robert William Harl II, were born.
He returned to civilian life in 1948 and established Harl grocery in Russell. In 1956, the family moved to Centerville where he managed Thriftway, which later became Safeway. His career with State Farm Insurance as an agent began in 1960 and continued until his retirement in 1988.
Robert was active in community affairs, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Masons (50 Year Mason), BPO Elks (50 Year member), and the Pancake Day Committee which he chaired in 1962.
Bob is survived by four children, Cathy Gross and her husband Jerry of Las Vegas, Nev., Richard Harl and his wife, Jane Anne, of Fairfield, Terri Clark and her husband, Ron, of Centerville, Robert William Harl II of St. Joseph, Mo.; a brother Rex Harl of Hollister, Mo.; grandchilden, Chris Harl, Jesse Harl, Taylor Clark, Todd Currie, Kelly Currie, Michael Gross, Shoshana Harl, Bridgette Adams; six great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Mary and James Harl, and a brother, Richard, who died in action during WWII.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, July 10, at the First Baptist Church with Pastor Lloyd Johnston officiating.
- Marilyn Burleta Condra Marilyn Burleta Condra, 84, of Unionville, Missouri, died Saturday, July 19, 2014 at her home north of Unionville, Missouri. She was born the daughter of Burr and Leta Mary (Morlan) Teater on June 29, 1930 near Plano. She graduated from Seymour Commu
- Marilyn B. Condra Marilyn B. Condra, 84, of Unionville, Mo., died Saturday, July 19, 2014 at her home north of Unionville.Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville.
- Nellie B. Lovison Nellie B. Lovison, 89, of Centerville, went home to be with the Lord on Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines. She was born the daughter of John and Bessie (Gray) Jackson on Feb. 4, 1925 in Downing, Mo. She attended school in Down
- Kathy Young Kathy Young, 61, of Mystic, passed away on July 17, 2014 surrounded by her family at Wayne County Hospital in Corydon.Kathy was born to Paul and Eudora (Bailey) Smith in Unionville, Iowa on Aug. 8, 1952. She received her education from Moulton-Udell
- Nellie Lovison Nellie Lovison, 89, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines.Funeral services will be held Monday, July 21 at 11 a.m. at First Baptist Church in Centerville with burial following in Downing Cemetery in Down
- Wayne Allen Couchman Wayne Allen Couchman, son of Keith and Carol Couchman, was born June 3, 1952 at Albia. He passed on to his heavenly home Friday, July 11, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines at the age of 62 years, one month and seven days.Having attended Indi
- Margaret Hawk Margaret Hawk, 92, of Plano, passed away Monday, July 14, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Long Term Care in Centerville.Margaret was born near Cincinnati on July 26, 1921 to Matthew and Olah Martin Followwill. The family later moved to Centerville wher
- Alta Mae McMahon Alta Mae McMahon, 88, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, July 12, 2014, at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines. She was born the daughter of Thomas and Elsie (Davis) Brinegar Dec. 5, 1925 in Centerville. She graduated from the Centerville Community Schoo
- Miriam E. Phillips Miriam E. Phillips, 89, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, July 12, 2014, at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. She was born the daughter of Claude and Emma (Kelce) Breese Feb. 19, 1925 in Centerville. She graduated from the Cent
- Robert E. Howard Staff Sergeant Robert E. Howard passed away April 16, 1945 in East Germany while serving his country during World War II. Graveside services with full military honors will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 19 at the Sunset View Cemetery north of Moul
- Eunice Arlene Atwell Thompson
- Alta McMahon Alta McMahon, 88, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, July 12, 2014 at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines.Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville.
- Judith K. Long Judith K. Long, 72, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, July 12, 2014.She was born Jan. 5, 1942 in Centerville, the daughter of Richard and Vivian (Brinegar) West. Judy was raised in Centerville and graduated from Centerville High School with the c
- Miriam Phillips Miriam E. Phillips, 89, of Centerville, died Saturday, July 12, 2014, at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. She was born the daughter of Claude and Emma (Kelce) Breese Feb. 19, 1925 in Centerville. She graduated from the Centerville
- Margaret Hawk Margaret Hawk, 92, of Plano, passed away Monday, July 14, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville.Arrangements will be announced from Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville.
- More Obituaries Headlines