Robert Harl, age 83 of Centerville died Thursday, July 6, 2006 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center, Centerville.
He was born Nov.12, 1922 in Pulaski, the son of James and Mary (Fordemwalt) Harl.
He was married to Doris Eleanor Werts on Jan. 18, 1944 at Fort Hueneme, Calif. She preceded him in death Nov. 4, 2001.
He graduated from Pulaski High School and entered the U.S. Navy in 1939. He was a member of the submarine fleet and was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. Robert was the youngest Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy.
He served from 1939-1948 in the Southern Pacific. Doris joined him in 1946 with their daughter, Cathy. Robert’s son, Richard, was born in Guam in 1948. While living in Russell, daughter, Terri, and son, Robert William Harl II, were born.
He returned to civilian life in 1948 and established Harl grocery in Russell. In 1956, the family moved to Centerville where he managed Thriftway, which later became Safeway. His career with State Farm Insurance as an agent began in 1960 and continued until his retirement in 1988.
Robert was active in community affairs, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Masons (50 Year Mason), BPO Elks (50 Year member), and the Pancake Day Committee which he chaired in 1962.
Bob is survived by four children, Cathy Gross and her husband Jerry of Las Vegas, Nev., Richard Harl and his wife, Jane Anne, of Fairfield, Terri Clark and her husband, Ron, of Centerville, Robert William Harl II of St. Joseph, Mo.; a brother Rex Harl of Hollister, Mo.; grandchilden, Chris Harl, Jesse Harl, Taylor Clark, Todd Currie, Kelly Currie, Michael Gross, Shoshana Harl, Bridgette Adams; six great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Mary and James Harl, and a brother, Richard, who died in action during WWII.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, July 10, at the First Baptist Church with Pastor Lloyd Johnston officiating.
Friends may call Sunday from 1 to 8 p.m. with the family present from 6-8 p.m. at the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, Centerville. Burial will be at the Oakland Cemetery, Centerville.
A memorial has been established to the First Baptist Church and may be left at or mailed to the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, 1900 South 18th St, Centerville, Iowa, 52544.
Leonard L. Aicher
Leonard L. Aicher, 68, 413 S. 18th St., Centerville, and formerly of the Mt. Pleasant and Henry County areas, died on Wednesday, July 05, 2006, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
A graveside memorial funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 8, at the Forest Home Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant. The Reverend Jeffrey L. "Duke" Crawford, Pastor, Calvary Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant, will officiate. There will be no visitation at the Weir & Kimzey Funeral Home, 213 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant, which has been entrusted with the funeral arrangements.
Leonard Leon Aicher was born June 11, 1938 in Mt. Pleasant, the son of Alvin and Alberta (Mills) Aicher. He was raised and received his formal education in the Henry County area. On Aug. 20, 1979 in Fairfield, Leonard was united in marriage to Esther Louise High Pross.
Mr. Aicher was a long time over-the-road truck driver. He primarily drove for Helman Trucking and Batey, Ltd. He retired in 1992 and moved to Centerville in 1994. Leonard enjoyed crappie fishing, traffic control from his front porch and building many items from wood, most notably wren bird houses. Leonard also enjoyed collecting, and had several different collections in his midst.
Those thankful for sharing in Leonard's life include his wife Esther of Centerville; a son, Karl Aicher of Salem; four step-sons and their wives, Ed and Florene Pross of Richland, Tom and Nancy Pross of Mt. Pleasant, Jerry and Abby Pross of Centerville and Billy Jack and and Sarah Pross; two step-daughters and their husbands, Margaret and Ernie Enright of Fairfield and Penny and Mark Morgan of Winfield; 21 step- grandchildren, Edward Lynn, Jr., Rachel, Carrie, Rachel, Joey, Allison, Jessica, Erin, Shannon, Frank, Amanda, Glen, Victoria, Roger, Timothy, Julia, Katy, Jonathon, Jacob, Johnny, Noah and Steven; and three step-great-grandchildren, Willie, Gillian and Jackson.
His parents precede him in death.
Mavis Stickler, age 77, died Thursday morning, July 6, 2006 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville.
Mavis was born May 11, 1929 in Mystic, the daughter of Kinnie and Mae (Streepy) Smith.
She grew up in Mystic and enjoyed playing basketball for Mystic High School. She graduated from high school in 1947.
Mavis married Carl Stickler Aug. 31, 1947, at her parents’ home in Mystic. He preceded her in death in 1991. Mavis was a homemaker all of her life.
Mavis is survived by her six children, four daughters, Lottie Wilson and her husband Dan, of Centerville, Wendy Argenta and her husband, Tony, of Mystic, Chris McDanel and her husband, Dallas, of Moravia and Peggy Agan and her husband, Mike, of Mystic; ; two sons, Kinnie Stickler and his wife, Connie, of Idaho and Rodney Stickler and his wife, Robin, of Centerville; 11 grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; 10 great grandchildren; and seven step-great-grandchildren; a sister, Agnus Jones and her husband, Vernon, of Indiana; two sisters-in-law Flo Smith of New Jersey and Lavon Stickler of Illinois; a brother-in-law Ray Stickler of Centerville; and many nieces and nephews.
Mavis was preceded in death by her parents; her husband Carl; a grandson John (McVeigh) McDanel in 1998; brothers Doug Smith and John Smith; and a sister Margaret Erickson.
Graveside services will be held 10 a.m. Saturday, July 8, at the Elgin Cemetery, Mystic, with Reverand James Schweizer officiating.
A visitation will be held today, Friday, at the Thomas Lange Funeral Home with the family present from 6-8 p.m.
Memorials have been established to either the Mystic First Responders or the Mystic Fire Department and may be left at or mailed to the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, 1900 S. 18th St., Centerville, Iowa, 52544.
Dorothy Elojune Holland
Private family services for Dorothy Elojune "Tex" Holland, 84, a resident of Rock Island have been held. Private family burial will be in Centerville. Halligan-McCabe-DeVries Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Elojune passed away on Thursday, June 29, 2006 in Bettendorf at Trinity at Terrace Park Pathway Hospice.
Dorothy Elojune Kaster was born Dec. 19, 1921 in Moravia, a daughter of Grover Cleveland and Rissie (Kincade) Kaster.
She was united in marriage to George Holland. He preceded her in death.
Elojune had been a telephone operator for 23 years in Centerville. In earlier years she had assisted our country during the war effort by working at the Rock Island Arsenal.
She will always be remembered for her great sense of humor and laughter. She enjoyed jazz music, singing and Martinis. Family was very important and she cherished her time with them all.
Memorials can be made to Pathway Hospice.
Survivors include daughters, Dianne Gastle, Hous-ton, Texas and Sherry Broder, Iowa City; a son, Duane Holland, Cincinnati, Ohio; three grandchildren, Celeste Broder, Rock Island, Christopher Oakes, Hous-ton, Texas and Todd Holland, Cincinnati, Ohio.
In addition to her husband, three sisters also preceded her in death.
Online remembrances and condolences may be expressed to the family by visiting Elojune's obituary at www.hmdfuneralhome.com
- Francis 'Mike' Regenwether Francis "Mike" Regenwether, 80, of Centerville, passed away Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013 at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Francis 'Mike' Regenwether
- George Kenneth McCloud George Kenneth McCloud, 45, of Mystic, passed away on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. George was born on Aug. 8, 1968 to Greg and Karen McCloud in Centerville. After graduation from Centerville High School in 1986, George
- Doris Dixon Doris Dixon, 87, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 at the Putnam County Memorial Hospital in Unionville, Mo. Funeral services will be held today at 2 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Unionville, Mo. Visitation will be one hour
- John Allen Johnson John Allen Johnson, 54, of Centerville, died on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 at Golden Age Care Center in Centerville. He was born on Sept. 12, 1959 in Centerville, the son of Vern William and Elizabeth "Betty" Annette (Wilson) Johnson. As a child, John gre
- Richard 'Pop Can Jim' Freeborn Richard "Pop Can Jim" Freeborn, 79, of Centerville, died Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013 at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. He was born the son of William and Lucy (Ward) Freeborn on April 26, 1934 in Springfield, Mo. He attended school
- Mark Steven Long Mark Steven Long, 57, of Burlingame, Kan. and a former Jerome resident, died Monday, Nov. 18, 2013 at his home in Burlingame. He was born the son of Merle E. and Marion F. (Stewart) Long on Sept. 21, 1956 in Denver, Colo. He graduated from the Seymou
- Twyla Bates Twyla Bates, 90, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 at the Putnam County Memorial Hospital in Unionville, Mo. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20 at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. V
- Mike R. Swarts Mike R. Swarts, 62, of Centerville, and a former Moulton resident, died Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. He was born the son of Frederick "Raymond" and Geneva I. (Archer) Swarts on May 12, 1951 in Center
- James Arthur 'Jim' Irelan James Arthur "Jim" Irelan, 96, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 at the Golden Age Care Center in Centerville. He was born on July 31, 1917 the son of Ethan and Lucy (Musgrove) Irelan on a farm near Cincinnati. He graduated from Cin
- Mark S. Long Mark S. Long, 57, of Burlingame, Kan., and a former Jerome resident, died Monday, Nov. 18, 2013 at his home in Burlingame. Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Mark S. Long
- Patricia 'Patty' Breeding Patricia "Patty" Breeding, 79, of Centerville, died Friday, Nov. 15, 2013 at Golden Age Care Center in Centerville. Patricia was born June 15, 1934 at Rathbun, the daughter of Stanley George and Rosetta Mae Wickline Posovich. She graduated from Morav
- Jim Irelan Jim Irelan, 96, of Centerville, died on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 at Golden Age Care Center in Centerville. Funeral services will be held Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 11 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church in Centerville. Public visitation will be on Tu
- Patricia (Patty) Breeding Patricia (Patty) Breeding, 79, of Centerville, died Friday, Nov. 15, 2013 at Golden Age Care Center, Centerville. Funeral arrangements will be announced from the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory, Centerville. Patricia (Patty) Breeding
- Mike R. Swarts Mike R. Swarts, 62, of Centerville, and a former Moulton resident, died Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013 at Centerville Nursing & Rehab Center in Centerville. He was born the son of Frederick "Raymond" and Geneva I. (Archer) Swarts on May 12, 1951 in Centervi
- Harold Aldridge Harold Aldridge, 69, of Mystic, passed away Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013 at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines. Graveside services with military rites will be held at 1:45 p.m. today at the Hilltown Cemetery southeast of Exline. A visitation will be held today a
- More Obituaries Headlines