Robert Harl, age 83 of Centerville died Thursday, July 6, 2006 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center, Centerville.
He was born Nov.12, 1922 in Pulaski, the son of James and Mary (Fordemwalt) Harl.
He was married to Doris Eleanor Werts on Jan. 18, 1944 at Fort Hueneme, Calif. She preceded him in death Nov. 4, 2001.
He graduated from Pulaski High School and entered the U.S. Navy in 1939. He was a member of the submarine fleet and was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. Robert was the youngest Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy.
He served from 1939-1948 in the Southern Pacific. Doris joined him in 1946 with their daughter, Cathy. Robert’s son, Richard, was born in Guam in 1948. While living in Russell, daughter, Terri, and son, Robert William Harl II, were born.
He returned to civilian life in 1948 and established Harl grocery in Russell. In 1956, the family moved to Centerville where he managed Thriftway, which later became Safeway. His career with State Farm Insurance as an agent began in 1960 and continued until his retirement in 1988.
Robert was active in community affairs, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Masons (50 Year Mason), BPO Elks (50 Year member), and the Pancake Day Committee which he chaired in 1962.
Bob is survived by four children, Cathy Gross and her husband Jerry of Las Vegas, Nev., Richard Harl and his wife, Jane Anne, of Fairfield, Terri Clark and her husband, Ron, of Centerville, Robert William Harl II of St. Joseph, Mo.; a brother Rex Harl of Hollister, Mo.; grandchilden, Chris Harl, Jesse Harl, Taylor Clark, Todd Currie, Kelly Currie, Michael Gross, Shoshana Harl, Bridgette Adams; six great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Mary and James Harl, and a brother, Richard, who died in action during WWII.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, July 10, at the First Baptist Church with Pastor Lloyd Johnston officiating.
Friends may call Sunday from 1 to 8 p.m. with the family present from 6-8 p.m. at the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, Centerville. Burial will be at the Oakland Cemetery, Centerville.
A memorial has been established to the First Baptist Church and may be left at or mailed to the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, 1900 South 18th St, Centerville, Iowa, 52544.
Leonard L. Aicher
Leonard L. Aicher, 68, 413 S. 18th St., Centerville, and formerly of the Mt. Pleasant and Henry County areas, died on Wednesday, July 05, 2006, at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
A graveside memorial funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 8, at the Forest Home Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant. The Reverend Jeffrey L. "Duke" Crawford, Pastor, Calvary Baptist Church, Mt. Pleasant, will officiate. There will be no visitation at the Weir & Kimzey Funeral Home, 213 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant, which has been entrusted with the funeral arrangements.
Leonard Leon Aicher was born June 11, 1938 in Mt. Pleasant, the son of Alvin and Alberta (Mills) Aicher. He was raised and received his formal education in the Henry County area. On Aug. 20, 1979 in Fairfield, Leonard was united in marriage to Esther Louise High Pross.
Mr. Aicher was a long time over-the-road truck driver. He primarily drove for Helman Trucking and Batey, Ltd. He retired in 1992 and moved to Centerville in 1994. Leonard enjoyed crappie fishing, traffic control from his front porch and building many items from wood, most notably wren bird houses. Leonard also enjoyed collecting, and had several different collections in his midst.
Those thankful for sharing in Leonard's life include his wife Esther of Centerville; a son, Karl Aicher of Salem; four step-sons and their wives, Ed and Florene Pross of Richland, Tom and Nancy Pross of Mt. Pleasant, Jerry and Abby Pross of Centerville and Billy Jack and and Sarah Pross; two step-daughters and their husbands, Margaret and Ernie Enright of Fairfield and Penny and Mark Morgan of Winfield; 21 step- grandchildren, Edward Lynn, Jr., Rachel, Carrie, Rachel, Joey, Allison, Jessica, Erin, Shannon, Frank, Amanda, Glen, Victoria, Roger, Timothy, Julia, Katy, Jonathon, Jacob, Johnny, Noah and Steven; and three step-great-grandchildren, Willie, Gillian and Jackson.
His parents precede him in death.
Mavis Stickler, age 77, died Thursday morning, July 6, 2006 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville.
Mavis was born May 11, 1929 in Mystic, the daughter of Kinnie and Mae (Streepy) Smith.
She grew up in Mystic and enjoyed playing basketball for Mystic High School. She graduated from high school in 1947.
Mavis married Carl Stickler Aug. 31, 1947, at her parents’ home in Mystic. He preceded her in death in 1991. Mavis was a homemaker all of her life.
Mavis is survived by her six children, four daughters, Lottie Wilson and her husband Dan, of Centerville, Wendy Argenta and her husband, Tony, of Mystic, Chris McDanel and her husband, Dallas, of Moravia and Peggy Agan and her husband, Mike, of Mystic; ; two sons, Kinnie Stickler and his wife, Connie, of Idaho and Rodney Stickler and his wife, Robin, of Centerville; 11 grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; 10 great grandchildren; and seven step-great-grandchildren; a sister, Agnus Jones and her husband, Vernon, of Indiana; two sisters-in-law Flo Smith of New Jersey and Lavon Stickler of Illinois; a brother-in-law Ray Stickler of Centerville; and many nieces and nephews.
Mavis was preceded in death by her parents; her husband Carl; a grandson John (McVeigh) McDanel in 1998; brothers Doug Smith and John Smith; and a sister Margaret Erickson.
Graveside services will be held 10 a.m. Saturday, July 8, at the Elgin Cemetery, Mystic, with Reverand James Schweizer officiating.
A visitation will be held today, Friday, at the Thomas Lange Funeral Home with the family present from 6-8 p.m.
Memorials have been established to either the Mystic First Responders or the Mystic Fire Department and may be left at or mailed to the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, 1900 S. 18th St., Centerville, Iowa, 52544.
Dorothy Elojune Holland
Private family services for Dorothy Elojune "Tex" Holland, 84, a resident of Rock Island have been held. Private family burial will be in Centerville. Halligan-McCabe-DeVries Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Elojune passed away on Thursday, June 29, 2006 in Bettendorf at Trinity at Terrace Park Pathway Hospice.
Dorothy Elojune Kaster was born Dec. 19, 1921 in Moravia, a daughter of Grover Cleveland and Rissie (Kincade) Kaster.
She was united in marriage to George Holland. He preceded her in death.
Elojune had been a telephone operator for 23 years in Centerville. In earlier years she had assisted our country during the war effort by working at the Rock Island Arsenal.
She will always be remembered for her great sense of humor and laughter. She enjoyed jazz music, singing and Martinis. Family was very important and she cherished her time with them all.
Memorials can be made to Pathway Hospice.
Survivors include daughters, Dianne Gastle, Hous-ton, Texas and Sherry Broder, Iowa City; a son, Duane Holland, Cincinnati, Ohio; three grandchildren, Celeste Broder, Rock Island, Christopher Oakes, Hous-ton, Texas and Todd Holland, Cincinnati, Ohio.
In addition to her husband, three sisters also preceded her in death.
Online remembrances and condolences may be expressed to the family by visiting Elojune's obituary at www.hmdfuneralhome.com
- Donna L. Hicks Donna L. Hicks, 62, of Promise City passed away Friday, Feb. 21 at her home. A visitation will be held Monday, from 5-7 p.m. at Thomas Funeral Home in Centerville. Funeral service will be held in Spruce Pine, North Carolina and will be handled by Web
- Margaret Louise 'Nanny' Beechum Margaret Louise "Nanny" Beechum, 81, a former resident of Muscatine, passed away on Monday, Feb. 17, 2014, at the Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, Va. Funeral Service will be held at 12 p.m. today at the Ralph J. Wittich-Riley-Freer
- Dorothy Arlene Stout Dorothy Arlene Stout, 91, of Blue Eye, Mo., and formerly of Centerville, passed away Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014 at Hospice of the Hills in Harrison, Ark. Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Dorothy Arlene
- Samuel Curtis Burger Samuel Curtis Burger, 59, died peacefully on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014, with his loving family at his side in his home on the banks of the Chatanika River after a courageous battle with lung cancer. Born in Centerville on Jan. 19, 1955, he lived most o
- Merilou (White) Hamilton Merilou (White) Hamilton, 87, of Centerville, passed away Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. She was born Dec. 23, 1926 in Centerville to John and Lula (Houser) White. Merilou attended Centerville schools and graduated from
- Merilou Hamilton Merilou Hamilton, 87, of Centerville, passed away Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 21 at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville with Pastor Gerald Campbell of
- Marilyn McCulley Marilyn McCulley, 80, of Centerville, departed this life on Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center surrounded by the love and prayers of family and friends. Marilyn was born Aug. 6, 1933 in Taylorville, Ill. to the Rev. Ray
- Janet Ann (Dixon) Dowd-Phelps Janet Ann (Dixon) Dowd-Phelps, 77, of Moravia, entered into eternal life on Friday, Feb. 14, 2014. She was born Oct. 17, 1936 to Robert M. and Susie (Martin) Dixon of Winfield, Mo. Janet grew up on a farm, attended rural country school, Winfield High
- Merilou Hamilton Merilou Hamilton, 87, of Centerville, passed away Sunday, Feb. 16, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Merilou Hamilton
- Kendall Daily Kendall Daily, 69, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Friday, Feb. 14, 2014 at the University Hospital in Columbia, Mo. Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Monday, Feb. 17 at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. Visitation will be on
- Dixie Lou Egbert Dixie Lou Egbert, 72, of Allerton, passed away Sunday, Feb. 9, 2014 at her home in Allerton. Dixie was born on Oct. 13, 1941 in Confidence, to Paul and Velma (Holmes) Swan. Dixie was united in marriage to Ralph Bernard Egbert on May 8, 1961. She work
- Robert J. McElvain Robert J. McElvain, 58, of Numa passed away Monday, Feb. 10, 2014 at his home in Numa. Robert was born on June 25, 1955 in Centerville, to John Marvelle and Florence Darlene (Ryan) McElvain. He received his education from Centerville High School grad
- Mirie Clara Frances (Mayner) Huston Mirie Clara Frances (Mayner) Huston, 72, of Exline, passed away Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Mirie was born in Denver, Colo. on Oct. 7, 1942 to Dr. Frank and Viola (Parker) Mayner. She attended school in Quincy, Ill.
- Teresa Matkovich Teresa Matkovich, 87, of Rathbun, passed away Monday, Feb. 10, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. She was born on Oct. 15, 1926 in Rathbun, the daughter of Anton "Tony" and Mary (Yakovich) Chebuhar. Teresa married Mark Matkovich on Aug. 21,
- Teresa Matkovich Teresa Matkovich, 87, of Rathbun, passed away Monday, Feb. 10, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Teresa Matkovich
- More Obituaries Headlines