Robert Harl, age 83 of Centerville died Thursday, July 6, 2006 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center, Centerville.
He was born Nov.12, 1922 in Pulaski, the son of James and Mary (Fordemwalt) Harl.
He was married to Doris Eleanor Werts on Jan. 18, 1944 at Fort Hueneme, Calif. She preceded him in death Nov. 4, 2001.
He graduated from Pulaski High School and entered the U.S. Navy in 1939. He was a member of the submarine fleet and was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. Robert was the youngest Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy.
He served from 1939-1948 in the Southern Pacific. Doris joined him in 1946 with their daughter, Cathy. Robert’s son, Richard, was born in Guam in 1948. While living in Russell, daughter, Terri, and son, Robert William Harl II, were born.
He returned to civilian life in 1948 and established Harl grocery in Russell. In 1956, the family moved to Centerville where he managed Thriftway, which later became Safeway. His career with State Farm Insurance as an agent began in 1960 and continued until his retirement in 1988.
Robert was active in community affairs, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Masons (50 Year Mason), BPO Elks (50 Year member), and the Pancake Day Committee which he chaired in 1962.
Bob is survived by four children, Cathy Gross and her husband Jerry of Las Vegas, Nev., Richard Harl and his wife, Jane Anne, of Fairfield, Terri Clark and her husband, Ron, of Centerville, Robert William Harl II of St. Joseph, Mo.; a brother Rex Harl of Hollister, Mo.; grandchilden, Chris Harl, Jesse Harl, Taylor Clark, Todd Currie, Kelly Currie, Michael Gross, Shoshana Harl, Bridgette Adams; six great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Mary and James Harl, and a brother, Richard, who died in action during WWII.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, July 10, at the First Baptist Church with Pastor Lloyd Johnston officiating.
- Donald Francis McCloud Donald Francis McCloud, 91, of Moravia, passed away Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at the Continental Care Center at Seymour in Seymour. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 12 at the Grace United Methodist Church in Moravia with the Re
- Richard Huber Richard Huber, 85, of Mercer, Mo., formerly of Centerville died Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, April 11 at the Lange Funeral Home with Father Duc Dominic Nguyen officiating. Burial will be in t
- Vyca (McHenry) Cowan Vyca Cowan, 101, died peacefully in her sleep on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, in California. Vyca was born on June 5, 1912, in Putnam County in Missouri to George and Burdell (Martz) McHenry. She married Noah Cowan in Kirksville, Mo. in 1933. They lived
- Dorothy Torrey Dorothy Torrey, 77, of Unionville, Mo., passed away at the University of Missouri Hospital in Columbia, Mo. on Friday, April 4, 2014. Funeral services will be Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. at 2 p.m. today. Visitation will be
- John M. Bonel John M. Bonel, 71, of Frederick, Colorado, passed away after a long battle with lymphoma on April 1, 2014. He was raised in Rathbun and became a standout golfer at Centerville High School. After graduation, he moved to the Chicago area where he dated
- Brayden Ryan Powless Brayden Ryan Powless, infant son of Don and Faith Powless of Bussey, passed away Saturday, April 5, 2014, at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Brayden is survived by his parents, Don and Faith Powless of Bussey; two brothers, Bryan and Christian Po
- James R. Sapp James R. Sapp, 88, of Des Moines, passed away at his home Thursday, March 27, 2014. James was born Nov. 16, 1925 in Unionville, Iowa. He proudly served in the U.S. Navy Seabees during WWII. James worked on the railroad, later worked for Maytag and re
- Susan Camille Stellpflug Susan Camille Stellpflug, 55, of Lexington, S.C. went to heaven on Wednesday, March 19, 2014. Camille was born Feb. 3, 1959 in Britton, S.D. and graduated from Centerville High School in 1977. She married Walter Stellpflug in 1985 and Walter's career
- Lois M. Pellin Lois M. Pellin, 88, of Buffalo, passed away Monday, March 31, 2014 at the Clarissa Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday, April 4 at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville with the Rev. Brad Dittmer
- Sally Jo (Millizer) Atchley Sally Jo (Millizer) Atchley, 62, of Centerville, passed away Sunday, March 30, 2014 at Mercy Hospital, Des Moines. Sally was born to Lloyd and Anna Millizer June 28, 1951. Sally graduated from Seymour High School in 1969. She married Mitchell Atchley
- Gary Rogers Gary Rogers, 70, of Central City, S.D. passed away on Tuesday, April 1, 2014. At his request cremation has taken place and no services are scheduled. Arrangements are under the care of the Lead-Deadwood Memorial Chapel in Lead. Online condolences may
- Wayne Murphy Wayne Murphy, 72, of Powersville, Mo., passed away Saturday, March 29, 2014 at the Wayne County Hospital in Corydon. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 3 at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. Visitation w
- Claud Fitzwater Claud Fitzwater, 86, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Sunday, March 30, 2014 at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, April 4 at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. Visita
- Raymond 'Ray' Ellison Raymond "Ray" Ellison, 67 of Unionville, Iowa passed away Monday, March 31, 2014 at his home. Ray was born June 3, 1946 in Valley City, N.D. to Albert and Mildred (Hansen) Ellison. Following high school, Ray served in the National Guard for six years
- Robert 'Bob' Joseph Seddon Robert "Bob" Joseph Seddon, 71, formerly of Mystic, passed away on Friday March 28, 2014 at Northeast Regional Medical Center in Kirksville, Mo. Bob was born Sept. 2, 1942, the son of Paul "Pard" and LaVerna Seddon in Detroit, Mich. He attended schoo
- More Obituaries Headlines