James “Chet” Vandike
James “Chet” Vandike, age 92, of Centerville, died Thursday, Feb. 16, 2006, at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville.
He was born the son of Roy and Rose (Baughman) Vandike on March 12, 1913 in Exline. In 1932, he graduated from Exline High School in Exline.
In 1941, Chet was united in marriage to Ann Porter in Exline. They farmed together for many years south of Exline. In 1979, he married Mary Cowles in Centerville. They were later divorced but remained very close friends. Chet was a member of the Eagles Lodge in Centerville.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Ann Vandike in 1973; his brother, Ralph Vandike; and a niece, Mary Shubat.
Chet is survived by his brother, Leon Vandike of Centerville; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be on Monday, Feb. 20, at 1 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville with Rev. Gerald Campbell officiating. Burial will follow at the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Cincinnati.
Visitation will be held on Sunday, Feb. 19, from 1 to 8 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Center-ville, with the family present from 6 to 8 p.m.
Memorials can be made to the Zoar Methodist Church and can be left at or mailed to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home at 501 North 18th Street, Centerville, Iowa, 52544. Condolences can be sent at : schmidtfam-ilyfuneralhome.com.
Ernest E. Hiatt
Ernest E. Hiatt, 94, of Moravia, died Feb. 17, 2006 at the Monroe County Hospital in Albia.
He was born Oct. 23, 1911, at Hiattsville area in Appanoose County to U.S. and Florence (Faulkner) Hiatt.
On Sept. 13, 1930, he married Golda Cline. Most of their married life was spent farming and coal mining in Appanoose County. Golda died in September 1990 after 60 years together. He married Bette VanDorin in 1992. They later divorced.
Ernest was a member of Grace United Methodist Church and the Masonic Lodge, both of Moravia, and the 18-80 Club in Centerville. He enjoyed playing cards especially Pitch, Rook and Cribbage.
James “Chet” Vandike
- Joyce Wright Joyce Wright, 72, of Centerville, passed away March 28, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center. Joyce was born on Jan. 19, 1942 to John and Icel (Richmond) Wright in Unionville, Mo. She received her education at Cincinnati High School. She was a member of the
- Lois M. Pellin Lois M. Pellin, 88 of Bettendorf, passed away Monday, March 31, 2014 at the Clarissa Cook Hospice House in Bettendorf. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Lois M. Pellin
- Joyce Wright Joyce Wright, 72, of Centerville, passed away Friday, March 28, 2014 at her home. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, April 3 at Thomas Funeral Home with the Rev. Mark Walsh officiating. Visitation will be Wednesday evening from 5-7 p.m. at T
- Raymond Ellison Raymond Ellison, 66, of Unionville, Iowa passed away Monday, March 31, 2014 at his home. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Raymond Ellison
- Ralph Eugene Mathews Ralph Eugene Mathews, 62, of Glenwood, passed away Saturday, March 29, 2014 at Creighton University Medical Center in Omaha, Neb. He was born May 2, 1951 in Centerville, the son of Friel and Lesteretta Mathews. Ralph is survived by his mother, Leste
- Larry (Loose) Long Larry (Loose) Long, 73, of Centerville, died Saturday, March 29, 2014 at Aspen Rehab and Health Care in Silvis, Ill. Larry was born March 4, 1941 in Plano, the son of Lewis E. and Margaret Pearson Long. He married Judith West Sept. 18, 1960 in Center
- Sally Atchley Sally Atchley, 62, of Centerville, died Sunday, March 30, 2014 at Mercy Hospital in Des Moines, Iowa. Arrangements will be announced from the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory in Centerville, Iowa. Sally Atchley
- Vivian Andrews Vivian Andrews, 89, of rural Moravia, passed away at home on Sunday March 23, 2014. A Celebration of Life Service will be held on Saturday, May 31, 2014 from 2-6 p.m. at the Moravia Community Center, 114 E, Chariton St. in Moravia. In lieu of flowers
- Larry Long Larry Long, 73, of Silvis, IL, formerly of Centerville, died Saturday, March 29, 2014 at Aspen Rehab & Health Care in Silvis, IL. Funeral arrangements will be announced from the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory in Centerville, Iowa. Larry Long
- Mary Rosalie Bivin Mary Rosalie Bivin, 94, of Allerton, passed away Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at the Continental Care Center in Seymour. A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 1, 2014 at the Christian Church in Allerton, with Pastor Kyle Ryun offi
- Joshua Snorgraff Joshua Snorgraff, 23, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Joshua Snorgraff
- Eugene Ira 'Captain' Reeder Eugene Ira "Captain" Reeder, 80, of New London, died Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at his home. According to Mr. Reeder's wishes, his body has been cremated and inurnment will be held at a later date. Elliott Chapel, New London is in charge of arrangements
- Verlin D. Stocker Verlin D. Stocker, 81, of Moravia, passed away Monday, March 24, 2014 at his home. He was born on Oct. 27, 1932 to Milton and Bertha (Simmons) Stocker on the family farm in Monroe County. In his youth Verlin attended Fairview Country School and later
- Vivian Andrews Vivian Andrews, 89, of Moravia, died Sunday March 23, 2014 at her home. Arrangements are pending at the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory, Moravia. Vivian Andrews
- Hazel Bonnell Hazel Bonnell, 64, of Unionville, Mo., passed away at the Putnam County Memorial Hospital in Unionville, Mo. on Friday, March 21, 2014. Funeral services for Hazel will be at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. at 11 a.m. on Wednes
- More Obituaries Headlines