James “Chet” Vandike
James “Chet” Vandike, age 92, of Centerville, died Thursday, Feb. 16, 2006, at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville.
He was born the son of Roy and Rose (Baughman) Vandike on March 12, 1913 in Exline. In 1932, he graduated from Exline High School in Exline.
In 1941, Chet was united in marriage to Ann Porter in Exline. They farmed together for many years south of Exline. In 1979, he married Mary Cowles in Centerville. They were later divorced but remained very close friends. Chet was a member of the Eagles Lodge in Centerville.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Ann Vandike in 1973; his brother, Ralph Vandike; and a niece, Mary Shubat.
Chet is survived by his brother, Leon Vandike of Centerville; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be on Monday, Feb. 20, at 1 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville with Rev. Gerald Campbell officiating. Burial will follow at the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Cincinnati.
Visitation will be held on Sunday, Feb. 19, from 1 to 8 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Center-ville, with the family present from 6 to 8 p.m.
Memorials can be made to the Zoar Methodist Church and can be left at or mailed to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home at 501 North 18th Street, Centerville, Iowa, 52544. Condolences can be sent at : schmidtfam-ilyfuneralhome.com.
Ernest E. Hiatt
Ernest E. Hiatt, 94, of Moravia, died Feb. 17, 2006 at the Monroe County Hospital in Albia.
He was born Oct. 23, 1911, at Hiattsville area in Appanoose County to U.S. and Florence (Faulkner) Hiatt.
On Sept. 13, 1930, he married Golda Cline. Most of their married life was spent farming and coal mining in Appanoose County. Golda died in September 1990 after 60 years together. He married Bette VanDorin in 1992. They later divorced.
Ernest was a member of Grace United Methodist Church and the Masonic Lodge, both of Moravia, and the 18-80 Club in Centerville. He enjoyed playing cards especially Pitch, Rook and Cribbage.
James “Chet” Vandike
- Thomas Leonard Doggett
- Beverlee J. Howe
- Beverlee J. Howe Beverlee J. Howe, 71, of 256 S. Moore, died at 10:05 p.m. June 25, 2014 at Hospice House in Ottumwa surrounded by her family.She was born Oct. 27, 1942 in Centerville, to Hugh “Midge” and Ruth Tipton Hedberg. She married James L. Howe on July 29, 196
- Thomas Leonard Doggett Thomas Leonard Doggett, 77, of Lowell, died Sunday, July 6, 2014 at University Hospital & Clinics in Iowa City.Mr. Doggett was born in Udell on Oct. 10, 1936, the son of Hallie U. and Evelyn Z. Morris Doggett. On Jan. 2, 1958, he married Marcella Ann
- Edith Daugherty Lira Edith Daugherty Lira, 81, of Numa, passed away due to complications from Alzheimer’s on Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Long Term Care in Centerville.She was born July 12, 1932 in Ellsworth, Illinois the daughter of Lenard and Edna
- Keith 'Dagwood' McMahon Keith “Dagwood” McMahon, 61, of Centerville, passed away on July 2, 2014 at his home after battling cancer.Keith was born May 25, 1953 to Bernie and Norma (Phelps) McMahon in Centerville. He was united in marriage to Pam Grundy on Oct. 3, 1980 in Num
- Edith Daugherty Lira Edith Daugherty Lira, 81, of Numa, passed away due to complications from Alzheimer’s on Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Long Term Care in Centerville.A celebration of life service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 10 at Lange Fu
- Judy Parry Judy Parry, 58, of Genoa, Nebraska, died Monday, June 30, 2014, at the Genoa Community Hospital, LTC.A memorial service will be held in Centerville at a later date. Interment was in the Valley View Cemetery in Genoa, Nebraska.Judy was born July 4, 19
- Keith McMahon Keith McMahon, 61, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, July 2, 2014 at his home.Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville.
Ida Louise (Kruzich) Maletta
Ida Louise (Kruzich) Maletta, 89, of Johnston, formerly of Centerville and Mystic, passed away on Monday, June 30, 2014 at Bishop Drumm Retirement Center.
- Ida Louise (Kruzich) Maletta Ida Louise (Kruzich) Maletta, 89, of Johnston, formerly of Centerville and Mystic, passed away on Monday, June 30, 2014 at Bishop Drumm Retirement Center. She was born Dec, 13, 1924 in Diamond, to Anton and Rakela Kruzich. She attended Mystic Schools
- Raymond Francis Rick Raymond Francis Rick, 72, passed away peacefully at his home on June 20, 2014 after a long, courageous battle with cancer.Raymond was born in Centerville Feb. 2, 1942 to Raymond V. Sr. and Louise (Stepnowski) Rick. He attended Mystic Community School
- Donna Jean Carpenter Donna Jean Carpenter, 92, of Centerville, and a former Plano area resident, died Sunday, June 22, 2014, at Wayne County Hospital in Corydon.She was born the daughter of Joseph E. and Ruby L. (Robison) Frame Dec. 29, 1921 near Confidence. She graduate
- Mark William Revers Mark William Revers, 52, of Centerville, passed away June 19, 2014 in Eagan, Minn. He is survived by his wife, Molly (Milani) Revers of Centerville; two children, Matthew Revers of Chicago, Ill. and Sarah Revers of Centerville; his parents, Ron and L
- Donna Carpenter Donna Carpenter, 92, of Centerville, and a former Plano resident, passed away Sunday, June 22, 2014 at Wayne County Hospital in Corydon.Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Friday, June 27 at Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville with bur
- More Obituaries Headlines