James “Chet” Vandike
James “Chet” Vandike, age 92, of Centerville, died Thursday, Feb. 16, 2006, at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville.
He was born the son of Roy and Rose (Baughman) Vandike on March 12, 1913 in Exline. In 1932, he graduated from Exline High School in Exline.
In 1941, Chet was united in marriage to Ann Porter in Exline. They farmed together for many years south of Exline. In 1979, he married Mary Cowles in Centerville. They were later divorced but remained very close friends. Chet was a member of the Eagles Lodge in Centerville.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Ann Vandike in 1973; his brother, Ralph Vandike; and a niece, Mary Shubat.
Chet is survived by his brother, Leon Vandike of Centerville; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be on Monday, Feb. 20, at 1 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville with Rev. Gerald Campbell officiating. Burial will follow at the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Cincinnati.
Visitation will be held on Sunday, Feb. 19, from 1 to 8 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Center-ville, with the family present from 6 to 8 p.m.
Memorials can be made to the Zoar Methodist Church and can be left at or mailed to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home at 501 North 18th Street, Centerville, Iowa, 52544. Condolences can be sent at : schmidtfam-ilyfuneralhome.com.
Ernest E. Hiatt
Ernest E. Hiatt, 94, of Moravia, died Feb. 17, 2006 at the Monroe County Hospital in Albia.
He was born Oct. 23, 1911, at Hiattsville area in Appanoose County to U.S. and Florence (Faulkner) Hiatt.
On Sept. 13, 1930, he married Golda Cline. Most of their married life was spent farming and coal mining in Appanoose County. Golda died in September 1990 after 60 years together. He married Bette VanDorin in 1992. They later divorced.
Ernest was a member of Grace United Methodist Church and the Masonic Lodge, both of Moravia, and the 18-80 Club in Centerville. He enjoyed playing cards especially Pitch, Rook and Cribbage.
Survivors include son Robert of Colorado Springs, Colo., two daughters, Virginia Hollinger of Moravia and Sandra (Edwin) Hollis of Stout; sister-in-law, Lucille Hiatt of Salem; 11 grandchildren; 11 step-grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; seven great-great-grandchildren; and many nieces, nephews and friends.
He was preceded in death by his parents; five brothers, Otha, Gus, Paul, Kenneth, and Rex; four sisters, Lou Taylor, Veta Davis, Ruth Weston, and Fern Hudgens; and two great-grandsons in infancy.
Funeral services were held Monday at the Gilbert-Boman Funeral Home in Moravia with Pastor Geneva Parsons officiating.
Burial was in Hillcrest Cemetery in Moravia. Memorials may be directed to the 18-80 Club in Centerville or to the Moravia First Responders.
Gerald “Speed” Christian
Gerald “Speed” Christian, 64, of Unionville, Mo., died Monday, Feb. 20, 2006 at his home southeast of Union-ville, Mo., after a battle with cancer.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Playle & Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. Visitation will be one hour before the service.
Interment will be in Pherigo Cemetery southeast of Unionville.
Dorothy Chwalek, 81, of Centerville died Saturday, Feb. 18, 2006, at Iowa Methodist Hospital in Des Moines.
Dorothy was born July 21, 1924, in Frankfort, Ky., the daughter of James Russell and Mary Catherine (O’Neill) O’Connell.
Dorothy graduated from Bald Knob High School in Frankfurt, Ky., in 1942. She attended the Nazareth School of Nursing with the U.S. Navy Cadet Nurse Corps in Lexington, Ky., where she was prepared for nursing for the military service. Dorothy worked as a registered nurse and was in charge of the newborn nursery at Somerset City Hospital in Somerset, Ky. She also worked as a nurse for the Bendix Corporation in South Bend, Ind., during the mid-1950s.
Dorothy married Richard Joseph Chwalek June 28, 1958, at St. Adalberts Church in South Bend, Ind. In 1974, Dorothy moved to Centerville with her family. She worked as a nurse at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Centerville and both the Centerville and Seymour Care Centers.
Dorothy belonged to numerous organizations. She was one of three founding members of The Activity Center on State Street in Centerville. She was active in ARC (Association for Retarded Citizens) throughout her lifetime, including being on the board of directors. She was also a member of the board of directors for the Iowa Right to Life Committee.
Dorothy was a founding member for the St. Joseph’s County Cerebral Palsy Foundation in South Bend, Ind.
Dorothy is survived by her husband, Richard Chwalek of Centerville; five children, Ann Catherine (Ron Chidester) Chwalek of Albia, Laura (Daniel) Beaulieu of Baldwin, Kan., Richard Anthony (Susan) Chwalek of Monticello, Minn., Margaret (David) Bales of Grand Prairie, Texas, and Rebecca (Jim) Starkweather of Lake George, Colo.; eight grandchildren, Sarah (Taylor White), Elizabeth and Josh Beaulieu, Claire and Colleen Chwalek, Megan and Matthew Bales and Laura Renee Starkweather; her great-grandson, Asher Kai White; four brothers and four sisters, Catherine Hughes of Pleasureville, Ky., Jim O’Connell of Wilmore, Ky., Betty Barnes, Joe O’Connell and George O’Connell, all of Frankfort, Ky., Gerald O’Connell of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, Margaret Dailey of Carrollton, Ky., and Eileen Riley of South Bend, Ind.
Dorothy was preceded in death by her parents; a brother, Pat O’Connell; her infant children, Mary Elizabeth and Daniel Joseph; and two grandchildren, Gabriella and Kelsey Starkweather.
A Mass of the Resurrection will be held at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 22, at the St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Centerville with Father Ron Will officiating. Friends may call at the funeral home all day Tuesday with the family present from 6 to 8 p.m. A prayer service will be held Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
Mass will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in South Bend, Ind. Interment will follow at the Highland Cemetery in South Bend.
A memorial has been established to the Association for Retarded Citizens of Appanoose County, the Iowa Right to Life Committee or the St. Mary’s Parish and may be left at the Thomas Lange Funeral Home, 1900 S. 18th Street, Centervile, IA 52544.
James “Chet” Vandike
- Mirie Huston Mirie Huston, 72, of Exline, passed away Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Services are pending with the Thomas Funeral Home in Centerville. Mirie Huston
- Margaret Bergman Margaret Lucille Bergman, 87, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014, at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. As was Margaret's wish, her body has been cremated and no services are planned at this time. Tharp Funeral Home in Albia is han
- Harlan James Hengstenberg Harlan James Hengstenberg, 79, of Centerville, died Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 at the Continental Care Center in Seymour. He was born the son of August G. and Florence S. (Jenkins) Hengstenberg on April 24, 1934 in Owensville, Mo. He graduated from the Ow
- Harlan J. Hengstenberg Harlan J. Hengstenberg, 79, of Centerville, passed away Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 at the Continental Care Center in Seymour. Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Harlan J. Hengstenberg
- Patsy Pearson Thompson Patsy Pearson Thompson, 59, of Unionville, Mo., passed away at her home of natural causes on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014. A celebration of life will be held Friday, Feb. 7 at 10:30 a.m. at the First Baptist Church in Unioville, Mo. A visitation will be hel
- James Lewis Dove III James Lewis Dove III, 43, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. He was born on March 21, 1970 in Denver, Colo. to James Dove and Paula Stafford. James worked for Adolph Coors in Colorado for five
- James Dove James Dove, 43, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville.
- Leroy 'Ed' McGrew Leroy "Ed" McGrew, 102, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014 at the Putnam County Care Center in Uninoville, Mo. Funeral services will be held Monday, Feb. 3 at 11 a.m. at the Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo
- Fredrick 'Leroy' Tietsort Fredrick "Leroy" Tietsort, 77, of Sedona, Ariz., formally of Unionville, Mo., passed away Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014 at Page Springs Living Home in Page Springs, Ariz. He was born Jan. 16, 1937 the son of Lorenzo Lee and Glen Etta (O'Neal) Tietsort in L
- Sister Marilyn Reyes Sister Marilyn Reyes, CHM, 94, formerly of Centerville, died on Jan. 28, 2014 at Bishop Drumm Retirement Center in Johnston. Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11:30 a.m. Monday, Feb. 3, 2014 at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Centerville with Fa
- Jerrod Dale Nuss Services for Jerrod Dale Nuss will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 1 at St. Augustin Catholic Church, 545 42nd St. in Des Moines. Visitation with an opportunity to share memories of Jerrod will be on Friday, Jan. 31 from 5-8 p.m. at Dunn's Funeral Home,
- Glenda Baughman Glenda Baughman, 52, of Seymour, formerly of Moravia, passed away Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014 at the Continental Care Center in Seymour. She was preceded in death by her father, Leon McDanel of Moravia; and her grandparents, John and Mildred Yonavich of
- Charles Shrake Charles Shrake, 72, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014 at the Putnam County Memorial Hospital in Unionville, Mo. from injuries sustained in a pedestrian/motor vehicle accident earlier that evening. Memorial services will be held Th
- Frederick 'LeRoy' Tietsort Frederick "LeRoy" Tietsort, 77, of Unionville, Mo., passed away Saturday, Jan. 25,2014 in Sedona, Ariz. Services are pending and the family is being cared for by the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Frederick 'LeRoy' Tietsort
- Yvonne Paxston Yvonne Paxston, 57, of Centerville, passed away Thursday, Jan. 23, 2014 at her home. She was born on Jan. 8, 1957 in Davenport, the daughter of Howard and Linda (Cornett) Paxston. She was an amazing mother and grandmother and shared a special bond w
- More Obituaries Headlines