James “Chet” Vandike
James “Chet” Vandike, age 92, of Centerville, died Thursday, Feb. 16, 2006, at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville.
He was born the son of Roy and Rose (Baughman) Vandike on March 12, 1913 in Exline. In 1932, he graduated from Exline High School in Exline.
In 1941, Chet was united in marriage to Ann Porter in Exline. They farmed together for many years south of Exline. In 1979, he married Mary Cowles in Centerville. They were later divorced but remained very close friends. Chet was a member of the Eagles Lodge in Centerville.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Ann Vandike in 1973; his brother, Ralph Vandike; and a niece, Mary Shubat.
Chet is survived by his brother, Leon Vandike of Centerville; and several nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be on Monday, Feb. 20, at 1 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville with Rev. Gerald Campbell officiating. Burial will follow at the Pleasant Hill Cemetery near Cincinnati.
Visitation will be held on Sunday, Feb. 19, from 1 to 8 p.m. at the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Center-ville, with the family present from 6 to 8 p.m.
Memorials can be made to the Zoar Methodist Church and can be left at or mailed to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home at 501 North 18th Street, Centerville, Iowa, 52544. Condolences can be sent at : schmidtfam-ilyfuneralhome.com.
Ernest E. Hiatt
Ernest E. Hiatt, 94, of Moravia, died Feb. 17, 2006 at the Monroe County Hospital in Albia.
He was born Oct. 23, 1911, at Hiattsville area in Appanoose County to U.S. and Florence (Faulkner) Hiatt.
On Sept. 13, 1930, he married Golda Cline. Most of their married life was spent farming and coal mining in Appanoose County. Golda died in September 1990 after 60 years together. He married Bette VanDorin in 1992. They later divorced.
Ernest was a member of Grace United Methodist Church and the Masonic Lodge, both of Moravia, and the 18-80 Club in Centerville. He enjoyed playing cards especially Pitch, Rook and Cribbage.
James “Chet” Vandike
- Larry Long Larry Long, 73, of Silvis, IL, formerly of Centerville, died Saturday, March 29, 2014 at Aspen Rehab & Health Care in Silvis, IL. Funeral arrangements will be announced from the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory in Centerville, Iowa. Larry Long
- Mary Rosalie Bivin Mary Rosalie Bivin, 94, of Allerton, passed away Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at the Continental Care Center in Seymour. A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 1, 2014 at the Christian Church in Allerton, with Pastor Kyle Ryun offi
- Joshua Snorgraff Joshua Snorgraff, 23, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Joshua Snorgraff
- Eugene Ira 'Captain' Reeder Eugene Ira "Captain" Reeder, 80, of New London, died Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at his home. According to Mr. Reeder's wishes, his body has been cremated and inurnment will be held at a later date. Elliott Chapel, New London is in charge of arrangements
- Verlin D. Stocker Verlin D. Stocker, 81, of Moravia, passed away Monday, March 24, 2014 at his home. He was born on Oct. 27, 1932 to Milton and Bertha (Simmons) Stocker on the family farm in Monroe County. In his youth Verlin attended Fairview Country School and later
- Vivian Andrews Vivian Andrews, 89, of Moravia, died Sunday March 23, 2014 at her home. Arrangements are pending at the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory, Moravia. Vivian Andrews
- Hazel Bonnell Hazel Bonnell, 64, of Unionville, Mo., passed away at the Putnam County Memorial Hospital in Unionville, Mo. on Friday, March 21, 2014. Funeral services for Hazel will be at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. at 11 a.m. on Wednes
- Bill Downs Bill Downs, 59, of Kirksville, Mo. died Friday at Northeast Regional Medical Center, Kirksville. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday, March 27, 2014 at the Lange Funeral Home & Crematory, Centerville, with Pastor Becky Conn
- Jerome Ivan 'Crazy Jerry' Prokes Jerome Ivan "Crazy Jerry" Prokes, 76, of Cincinnati, Iowa passed away Sunday, March 16, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Jerry was born on March 2, 1938 to Ivan and Geraldine (Orr) Prokes in Jackson, Minn. He was raised in Riceville. Jerr
- Samuel 'Sam' Proffitt Samuel "Sam" Proffitt, 62, of Centerville, passed away Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. Sam was born Feb. 2, 1952 to Elmer and Lola (Abel) Proffitt in Centerville. Known by so many people for his "happ
- Samuel 'Sam' Proffitt Samuel "Sam" Proffitt, 62, of Centerville, passed away Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Samuel 'Sam' Proffitt
- Richard 'Storm' Harrington Richard "Storm" Harrington, 91, of Unionville, Iowa passed away Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at Golden Age Care Center in Centerville. He was born Jan. 30, 1923 in Unionville, Iowa to Paul and Myrtle (Locker) Harrington. Richard graduated from Unionville
- Jerome 'Crazy Jerry' Prokes Jerome "Crazy Jerry" Prokes, 76, of Cincinnati, passed away Sunday, March 16, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. A celebration of life service will be held from 2-6 p.m. on April 5 at the Cincinnati Community Center in Cincinnati. In lieu o
- Richard 'Storm' Harrington Richard "Storm" Harrington, 91, of Moravia, passed away Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at Golden Age Care Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home in Moravia. Richard 'Storm' Harrington
- Jerome Prokes Jerome Prokes, 76 of Cincinnati, passed away Sunday, March 16, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Jerome Prokes
- More Obituaries Headlines