Milo "Artis" Main, 90, passed away Oct. 10, 2012 in San Diego, Calif.
Artis, as he was known by his family, was born Jan. 28, 1922 in Appanoose County, the son of Elingson "Elec" and Basha "May" (Foster) Main.
Artis' mother, May, passed away a few hours after he was born. He spent the first few years of his boyhood with his maternal grandparents, Milo and Myrtle (Tisue) Foster. When he was four years old, he joined the Elec and Mabel (Plants) Main family, which included his older brother and sister, Richard and June and two additional brothers, Jimmy and Gene. Artis grew to be a young man in the farming communities of the northern part of Appanoose County. He attended the Moravia High School, graduating in May of 1938.
On June 27, 1939, Artis and his brother, Richard, reported to Des Moines and signed up for the Navy. For the next 20 years, Artis served in the United States Navy. On Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked, Artis was aboard the USS Allen (DD66) which was tied up on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor. From his ship, Artis watched helplessly as the USS Arizona blew up and the USS West Virginia was hit by torpedoes. He later helped raise the USS Oglala and the USS West Virginia, both of which were sunk Dec. 7, 1941. Artis quickly became a specialist in the working and maintenance of the ship's diesel engines. He traveled in many parts of the world before ending his Navy career as a Chief Warrant Officer 3. Following his Navy discharge, Artis worked as a car mechanic.
On Sept. 23, 1940, Artis and Fraley Marjorie Frier, were married in the Navy Chapel in Chicago, Ill. Together, they had two sons, Kenneth Artis and Frederick Earl Main. After being transferred by the Navy to several different states, Artis and Fraley and their sons settled in El Cajon, Calif. They lived in the same home there for over 50 years. Fraley passed away Dec. 28, 2008.
Besides his mother and wife, Artis was preceded in death by his father and his second "mother" Elec and Mabel Main; a sister, Hannah "June" Main and three brothers, Richard, Gene and Benny Main. He is survived by his two sons, Kenneth (Ann) Main of Henderson, Nev. and Frederick Main of El Cajon, Calif.; four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, his 96 year old aunt Josephine (Foster) Lindley, three sisters, Annie (Jim) Reihsen of West Des Moines, Monna (Ben) Tarbell of Altoona, and Betty (Jerry) Marshall of Numa and four brothers, Jimmy Main and Marion (Bonnie) Main of rural Moravia, Jerry Main of Radcliff and Bill (Irene) Main of rural Albia, and many nieces and nephews.
A military ceremony was held Nov. 12 at the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery at Point loma - San Diego, Calif. There, his remains will rest beside those of his wife, Fraley.
Artis enjoyed reading about history and current events. He loved to tell about his Navy experiences, which he called his "Sea Stories." He loved his family and his country and will be missed by all that knew him.
Milo "Artis" Main, 90, passed away Oct. 10, 2012 in San Diego, Calif.
- Jeffrey Babb Jeffrey Babb, 49, of Centerville, died Sunday morning, March 9, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center Long Term Care in Centerville. Funeral services will be announced from the Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Jeffrey Babb
- Gene Glenn Gene Glenn, 91, of Plano, passed away Sunday, March 9, 2014 at his home in Plano, with his loving family at his side. Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Gene Glenn
- Angeline 'Fern' Graham Angeline "Fern" Graham, 74, of Exline, passed away Wednesday, March 5 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 8 at 11 a.m. at Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Visitation will be held Frida
Angeline 'Fern' Graham
Angeline "Fern" Graham, 74, of Exline, passed away Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville. Funeral services will be held Saturday, March 8 at 11 a.m. at Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville. Visitation will be held Friday,
- John C. Holeman John C. Holeman, loving family man, inspiring teacher and supporter of music, passed away Sunday, March 2, 2014. John was born Dec. 21, 1929, in Grundy Center and along with helping out on the family farm, he participated in the band and chorus. He
- Samuel Curtis Burger Following the service in Fairbanks, Alaska on Sunday, March 2, the Iowa memorial service for Samuel Curtis Burger will be on Saturday, March 8, beginning with a public graveside service at 2 p.m. at Eaton Cemetery in Unionville, Iowa. Afterwards fami
- John Holeman John Holeman, 84 of Centerville, died Sunday evening March 2, 2014 at Select Specialty Hospital in Davenport. A celebration of life service will be held at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, March 6 at the First United Methodist Church in Centerville with Pastor De
- Russell L. Burgher Russell L. Burgher, 92, of Centerville, passed away Tuesday, Feb. 25 2014 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. He was born on Nov. 7, 1921 in La Plata, Mo., the son of Arthur and Edna Bernice (Brown) Burgher. Following high sch
- Joanne L. Davis Joanne L. Davis, 61, of Brooklyn, Iowa passed away on Thursday, Feb. 27, 2014, at Grinnell Regional Medical Center. A funeral service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Monday, March 3 at First Presbyterian Church in Brooklyn with the Rev. John Reynolds, pas
- Russell L. Burgher Russell L. Burgher, 92, of Centerville, passed away Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2014 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 1 at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville with P
- Michael Joseph Mason Michael Joseph Mason, 59, passed away surrounded by his family, friends and co-workers on Monday, Feb. 24, 2014. He is survived by his wife, Linda Naquin Mason; one daughter, Suzana Kate Mason; two brothers, Kirk Mason and Greg Mason; brother-in-law,
- Glenn Staggs Glenn Staggs, 84, of Unionville, Mo., passed away at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville on Saturday, Feb. 15, 2014. At his request, his body was cremated and there will be no services. Memorials may be made to Unionville United Methodist Church or
- Ed Loughead Ed Loughead, 88, of Unionville, Mo., passed away peacefully at his home Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014. At his request, his body was cremated and there will be a private family service at a later date. Memorials may be made to Putnam County Library and sent
- Richard Anthony Schmit Richard Anthony Schmit, 70, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014 at his home of natural causes. Richard was born in Mineral Point, Wis. on Jan. 25, 1944 to Mercedes A. (McDonald) and James C. Schmit. After serving in the United States
- Richard Schmit Richard Schmit, 70 of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014. According to family wishes, cremation has taken place. There are no services scheduled at this time. Memorials to the family of Mr. Schmit may be mailed to Lange Funeral Home an
- More Obituaries Headlines