Milo "Artis" Main, 90, passed away Oct. 10, 2012 in San Diego, Calif.
Artis, as he was known by his family, was born Jan. 28, 1922 in Appanoose County, the son of Elingson "Elec" and Basha "May" (Foster) Main.
Artis' mother, May, passed away a few hours after he was born. He spent the first few years of his boyhood with his maternal grandparents, Milo and Myrtle (Tisue) Foster. When he was four years old, he joined the Elec and Mabel (Plants) Main family, which included his older brother and sister, Richard and June and two additional brothers, Jimmy and Gene. Artis grew to be a young man in the farming communities of the northern part of Appanoose County. He attended the Moravia High School, graduating in May of 1938.
On June 27, 1939, Artis and his brother, Richard, reported to Des Moines and signed up for the Navy. For the next 20 years, Artis served in the United States Navy. On Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked, Artis was aboard the USS Allen (DD66) which was tied up on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor. From his ship, Artis watched helplessly as the USS Arizona blew up and the USS West Virginia was hit by torpedoes. He later helped raise the USS Oglala and the USS West Virginia, both of which were sunk Dec. 7, 1941. Artis quickly became a specialist in the working and maintenance of the ship's diesel engines. He traveled in many parts of the world before ending his Navy career as a Chief Warrant Officer 3. Following his Navy discharge, Artis worked as a car mechanic.
On Sept. 23, 1940, Artis and Fraley Marjorie Frier, were married in the Navy Chapel in Chicago, Ill. Together, they had two sons, Kenneth Artis and Frederick Earl Main. After being transferred by the Navy to several different states, Artis and Fraley and their sons settled in El Cajon, Calif. They lived in the same home there for over 50 years. Fraley passed away Dec. 28, 2008.
Besides his mother and wife, Artis was preceded in death by his father and his second "mother" Elec and Mabel Main; a sister, Hannah "June" Main and three brothers, Richard, Gene and Benny Main. He is survived by his two sons, Kenneth (Ann) Main of Henderson, Nev. and Frederick Main of El Cajon, Calif.; four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, his 96 year old aunt Josephine (Foster) Lindley, three sisters, Annie (Jim) Reihsen of West Des Moines, Monna (Ben) Tarbell of Altoona, and Betty (Jerry) Marshall of Numa and four brothers, Jimmy Main and Marion (Bonnie) Main of rural Moravia, Jerry Main of Radcliff and Bill (Irene) Main of rural Albia, and many nieces and nephews.
A military ceremony was held Nov. 12 at the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery at Point loma - San Diego, Calif. There, his remains will rest beside those of his wife, Fraley.
Artis enjoyed reading about history and current events. He loved to tell about his Navy experiences, which he called his "Sea Stories." He loved his family and his country and will be missed by all that knew him.
Milo "Artis" Main, 90, passed away Oct. 10, 2012 in San Diego, Calif.
- Wallace 'Junior' Davolt Wallace "Junior" Davolt, 88, of Centerville, passed away Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center. He was born in Unionville, Mo. on Sept. 13, 1925 to Wallace and Thelma (Lloyd) Hunt. Junior enlisted in the United States
- Richard F. Scott Richard F. Scott, 40, of Centerville, died Friday, April 11, 2014 at his home. A celebration of life service will be held at 3:30 p.m. Monday, April 21 at the Appanoose County Courthouse Courtroom on the Centerville Square. In lieu of flowers, memori
- Michael Reeder Michael Reeder, 60, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home. There are no scheduled services at this time. In lieu of flowers, memorials to the family of Michael Reeder may be given to Lange Funeral Home and Crematory, 1900 S
- Michael Reeder Michael Reeder, 60, of Centerville, passed away Saturday, April 12, 2014 at his home. Funeral services are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Centerville. Michael Reeder
- Richard Scott Richard Scott, 40, of Centerville, died Friday, April 11, 2014 at his home. Arrangements are being handled by Lange Funeral Home & Crematory, Centerville. Richard Scott
- Richard Huber, Sr. Richard Huber, Sr., 84, of Mercer, Mo., formerly of Centerville, died Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at his home. He was born Aug. 7, 1929 in Fort Atkinson to Zeno P. and Mildred (Riehle) Huber. On Aug. 29, 1952 Richard entered in the United States Army. H
- Donald Francis McCloud Donald Francis McCloud, 91, of Moravia, passed away Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at the Continental Care Center At Seymour in Seymour. He was born May 26, 1922 on the family farm northwest of Moravia, the son of Ray and Hattie (Main) McCloud. Donald grad
- Donald Francis McCloud Donald Francis McCloud, 91, of Moravia, passed away Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at the Continental Care Center at Seymour in Seymour. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 12 at the Grace United Methodist Church in Moravia with the Re
- Richard Huber Richard Huber, 85, of Mercer, Mo., formerly of Centerville died Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at his home. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, April 11 at the Lange Funeral Home with Father Duc Dominic Nguyen officiating. Burial will be in t
- Vyca (McHenry) Cowan Vyca Cowan, 101, died peacefully in her sleep on Wednesday, April 2, 2014, in California. Vyca was born on June 5, 1912, in Putnam County in Missouri to George and Burdell (Martz) McHenry. She married Noah Cowan in Kirksville, Mo. in 1933. They lived
- Dorothy Torrey Dorothy Torrey, 77, of Unionville, Mo., passed away at the University of Missouri Hospital in Columbia, Mo. on Friday, April 4, 2014. Funeral services will be Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Mo. at 2 p.m. today. Visitation will be
- John M. Bonel John M. Bonel, 71, of Frederick, Colorado, passed away after a long battle with lymphoma on April 1, 2014. He was raised in Rathbun and became a standout golfer at Centerville High School. After graduation, he moved to the Chicago area where he dated
- Brayden Ryan Powless Brayden Ryan Powless, infant son of Don and Faith Powless of Bussey, passed away Saturday, April 5, 2014, at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines. Brayden is survived by his parents, Don and Faith Powless of Bussey; two brothers, Bryan and Christian Po
- James R. Sapp James R. Sapp, 88, of Des Moines, passed away at his home Thursday, March 27, 2014. James was born Nov. 16, 1925 in Unionville, Iowa. He proudly served in the U.S. Navy Seabees during WWII. James worked on the railroad, later worked for Maytag and re
- Susan Camille Stellpflug Susan Camille Stellpflug, 55, of Lexington, S.C. went to heaven on Wednesday, March 19, 2014. Camille was born Feb. 3, 1959 in Britton, S.D. and graduated from Centerville High School in 1977. She married Walter Stellpflug in 1985 and Walter's career
- More Obituaries Headlines