Milo "Artis" Main, 90, passed away Oct. 10, 2012 in San Diego, Calif.
Artis, as he was known by his family, was born Jan. 28, 1922 in Appanoose County, the son of Elingson "Elec" and Basha "May" (Foster) Main.
Artis' mother, May, passed away a few hours after he was born. He spent the first few years of his boyhood with his maternal grandparents, Milo and Myrtle (Tisue) Foster. When he was four years old, he joined the Elec and Mabel (Plants) Main family, which included his older brother and sister, Richard and June and two additional brothers, Jimmy and Gene. Artis grew to be a young man in the farming communities of the northern part of Appanoose County. He attended the Moravia High School, graduating in May of 1938.
On June 27, 1939, Artis and his brother, Richard, reported to Des Moines and signed up for the Navy. For the next 20 years, Artis served in the United States Navy. On Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked, Artis was aboard the USS Allen (DD66) which was tied up on Ford Island in the middle of Pearl Harbor. From his ship, Artis watched helplessly as the USS Arizona blew up and the USS West Virginia was hit by torpedoes. He later helped raise the USS Oglala and the USS West Virginia, both of which were sunk Dec. 7, 1941. Artis quickly became a specialist in the working and maintenance of the ship's diesel engines. He traveled in many parts of the world before ending his Navy career as a Chief Warrant Officer 3. Following his Navy discharge, Artis worked as a car mechanic.
On Sept. 23, 1940, Artis and Fraley Marjorie Frier, were married in the Navy Chapel in Chicago, Ill. Together, they had two sons, Kenneth Artis and Frederick Earl Main. After being transferred by the Navy to several different states, Artis and Fraley and their sons settled in El Cajon, Calif. They lived in the same home there for over 50 years. Fraley passed away Dec. 28, 2008.
Besides his mother and wife, Artis was preceded in death by his father and his second "mother" Elec and Mabel Main; a sister, Hannah "June" Main and three brothers, Richard, Gene and Benny Main. He is survived by his two sons, Kenneth (Ann) Main of Henderson, Nev. and Frederick Main of El Cajon, Calif.; four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, his 96 year old aunt Josephine (Foster) Lindley, three sisters, Annie (Jim) Reihsen of West Des Moines, Monna (Ben) Tarbell of Altoona, and Betty (Jerry) Marshall of Numa and four brothers, Jimmy Main and Marion (Bonnie) Main of rural Moravia, Jerry Main of Radcliff and Bill (Irene) Main of rural Albia, and many nieces and nephews.
A military ceremony was held Nov. 12 at the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery at Point loma - San Diego, Calif. There, his remains will rest beside those of his wife, Fraley.
Artis enjoyed reading about history and current events. He loved to tell about his Navy experiences, which he called his "Sea Stories." He loved his family and his country and will be missed by all that knew him.
Milo "Artis" Main, 90, passed away Oct. 10, 2012 in San Diego, Calif.
- Albert 'Elba' Sayre Albert “Elba” Sayre, 91, of Unionville, Missouri, passed away Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at Kirksville Manor Care Center in Kirksville, Missouri.Graveside services will be held at Oak Grove Cemetery in Milan, Missouri at 11 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 1. Visita
- Richard 'Rich' Gander Richard “Rich” Gander, 45, of Creston, passed away Monday, July 28, 2014, in rural Creston.A funeral service will be held at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 2 at the Wallace Family Funeral Home and Crematory in Newton. The family will greet friends from 6-8
- Nancy Carroll Tietsort Nancy Carroll Tietsort, 79, of Sedona, Arizona, and a former Centerville and Unionville, Missouri resident, passed away Friday, July 25, 2014 at her home in Sedona. She was born at home on wash day on July 15, 1935 in Centerville, the daughter of Joh
- Betty J. Simmons Betty J. Simmons, 83, of Mystic, passed away Sunday, July 27, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center in Centerville.No services are planned. Cremation was accorded as per her wishes.Lange Funeral Home and Crematory is in charge of her arrangements.
- Rowena Buster Rowena Buster, 81, of Graysville, Mo., passed away of natural causes at her home in Unionville, Missouri on Sunday, July 27, 2014.Memorial services will be held Wednesday, July 30 at Playle and Jones Family Funeral Home in Unionville, Missouri at 11
- Patricia 'Patty' Ann (Clark) McDanel Patricia “Patty” Ann (Clark) McDanel, 82, of Moravia, departed this earth on the July 25, 2014 at the Centerville Nursing and Rehab Center in Centerville.She was born June 16, 1932 in Centerville, the daughter of Earthel (Corporan) & Walter Clark. Sh
- Nancy C. Tietsort Nancy C. Tietsort, 79, of Sedona, Arizona, and a former Centerville and Unionville, Missouri resident, died Friday, July 25, 2014 at her home in Sedona.Arrangements have been entrusted to the Schmidt Family Funeral Home in Centerville.
- Jerald Fenton Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, July 26 for Jerald Fenton, 88, at the Fielding Funeral Home located in Chariton. Visitation will take place from 5-7 p.m. today at the funeral home. Interment will be held in the Brushy Cemetery located in Pl
- Carlene Hatfield Carlene Hatfield, 85, of Unionville, Missouri, passed away of natural causes at her home Tuesday, July 22, 2014.Graveside services will be held at the Unionville Cemetery at 1:30 p.m. Friday, July 25. There will be no visitation.Services are under th
- Charlotte Woodward Charlotte Woodward, 90, of Moravia, passed away Sunday, July 20, 2014 at her home.Charlotte was born Jan. 5, 1924 to Jesse and Nellie (Miles) Powell near Pierson. She graduated from high school in 1941 and married Emory Kehrberg Jan. 9, 1942. Charlot
- Judith Brees Judith “Judi” Ann Brees, 76, of Sergeant Bluff, formerly of Centerville, passed away Friday, July 18, 2014 at St. Luke’s Hospital in Sioux City.Judi was born Oct. 11, 1937 to Charles and Ada (Smith) Johnston in Centerville. She married Donald Eugene
- Paul 'Junior' Spencer Paul “Junior” Spencer, 82, of Moravia, passed away Sunday, July 20, 2014 at his home in Moravia.He was born Dec. 21, 1931 in Moravia to Paul Samuel and Lelia Pearl Pence Spencer.A 1949 graduate of Moravia High School, he enlisted with the U.S. Army,
- Paul Spencer, Jr. Paul Spencer, Jr., 72, of Moravia, passed away Sunday, July 20, 2014 at his home in Moravia.Funeral arrangements are pending at Lange Funeral Home and Crematory in Moravia.
- Judy Parry Judy Parry, 58, of Genoa, Nebraska, and formerly of Centerville, passed away Monday, June 30, 2014, at the Genoa Community Hospital, LTC.Judy was a long-time member of First Evangelical Lutheran Church in Centerville and a memorial service will be he
- Margaret Hawk Margaret Hawk, 92, of Plano, passed away Monday, July 14, 2014 at Mercy Medical Center, Long Term Care in Centerville.A celebration of life service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 26 at the Plano Christian Church with Pastor Scott O’Conner
- More Obituaries Headlines