A new Walmart opens this month in Centerville, bringing new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects.
The Walmart, located at 23148 Highway 5, will open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 15, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony at 7:30 a.m. with community and business leaders and Walmart associates.
• Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Centerville Walmart.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Brad Henderson. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, Site-to-Store pick-up location and Pick Up Today near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
New jobs were created as a result of the relocation. A majority of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years, including several associates who have worked at the store since its original opening in 1991.
• Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $5,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration.
• Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Centerville Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
• About Walmart
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 10,130 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
· Location: 23148 Highway 5, Centerville
· Formerly located at 1101 N. 18th St., Centerville
· 59,000-square-foot Walmart, gaining 33,000 additional square feet
· Store opens Wednesday, Aug. 15, following a 7:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
· Store manager: Brad Henderson
· Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
· Full line of groceries, including baked goods, meat and dairy products, fresh produce and a full liquor department
· Departments such as apparel and accessories, garden center, health and beauty aids, and an electronics department
· Convenience services include a pharmacy and digital photo processing center
· $5,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be awarded to community organizations.
· Store plans to employ approximately 160 associates
· The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Iowa is approximately $12.13 per hour*
· Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including medical insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise for store associates, a Sam’s Club membership for club associates, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive quarterly incentive based on the company performance.
* Average wage taken April 2012. See www.walmartstores.com for details.