- Local News
Second reading of amended rental permit ordinance
The Centerville City Council tonight at City Hall will hear the second reading of an ordinance amending the way the city deals with rental permits and associated fees.
Cincinnati fundraising meeting set
Cincinnati Development Initiative will hold a fundraising meeting at Cincinnati Community Center on Tuesday, July 8.
- Mystic's 4th celebration on the 5th MYSTIC — A bit of unusual news came out of Mystic Saturday.Not a single woman between the ages of 17 and 21 entered the Miss Mystic queen contest during Mystic's annual fourth of July celebration Saturday.One organizer said they decided to allow Miss
Democrats to hold meeting
The Democratic Central Committee will meet at Democratic Headquarters on the southeast corner of the Square on North 13th Street at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, July 8.
Miss Pancake Day, Lil Miss and Mister and Escort applications available
The Centerville Pancake Day Queen Committee is taking applications for contestants for Miss Pancake Day contestants, escorts and Lil Miss and Misters.
A.C. History: Independence Day, 1881
After dark that evening, people on the Courthouse Square waited for the firework display. Five hundred dollars had been spent on fireworks. The event was promoted as "the grandest display of the kind ever witnessed in Southern Iowa."
- Exline pie contest Friday A total of 34 pies were entered into the Exline pie contest on Friday, which was slightly down from last year, one Exline Recreation Committee member said. This year had 18 double crust and 16 single crust pies entered into the contest.The grand cham
- Grocery grab nets nearly $400 in merchandise BOB held their latest grocery grab event Wednesday morning at Hy-Vee in Centerville. Frank Rinchiuso ran through the store at 9 a.m. trying to fill up his cart as he hit each aisle, collecting groceries, toilet paper, candy, a turkey and detergent am
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved.July 3 1900: On 13th Street, at an empty storefront, a traveling showman invited people inside. They paid five cents, sat on folding chairs in the dark and watched a screen. Grainy, gray photographic images fl
Open board seat filled in 5-1 vote
The Centerville School Board appointed Steve Hoch to replace resigning member Tom Lange in a 5-1 vote during a special meeting Monday evening.
Municipal band closes season
The Centerville Municipal Band will perform its last concert of the summer Thursday, July 3 at the bandshell on the Centerville Courthouse lawn.
- Raccoon kills power An Alliant Energy spokesperson said the company suspects a raccoon is the reason power went out for almost 40 percent of it’s customers early Tuesday.Alliant Energy spokesperson Heather Holmes said the outage is expected to have occurred at approxima
Raccoon kills power
An Alliant Energy spokesperson said the company suspects a raccoon is the reason power went out for almost 40 percent of it’s customers early Tuesday.
- Centerville man charged with felony fraud, theft A Centerville man has two felony cases circulating through the court system, stemming from allegations that he knowingly sold a stolen firearm and failing to carry through a furnace replacement despite collecting over $1,500 to do so.Timothy Michael
- Buckle up and have a safe holiday To prevent death and injury, Iowa law enforcement is again asking the motoring public to buckle up, slow down and drive sober. According to the Iowa Department of Transportation, there were six traffic fatalities during the four-day Fourth of July we
- More Local News Headlines
- Second reading of amended rental permit ordinance