- Local News
- Butterfly presentation at Drake Public Library Carrie Stivers will give a presentation on butterflies for the Children’s Summer Reading Program Saturday, July 12 at 10 a.m. at the Drake Public Library in Centerville. Stivers’ interest in butterflies began in 1992 when she started working with the
Appanoose County Fair Queen contestants
The following are the 2014 Appanoose County Fair Queen contestants. The Queen judging will be held on Thursday, July 17 at the First United Methodist Church in Centerville at 6:30 p.m. and the crowning will be held on Monday, July 21 at the fairgrounds.
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved.July 9 1943: In darkness early on June 9-10, 1943, the U.S. 7th Army under Patton, the British 8th and the Canadian 1st Infantry under Montgomery disembarked from LST beaching crafts west and east of Cape Pass
- Missing Moulton war hero's remains identified The family of Robert E. “Bobby” Howard has received official word of positive identification of his remains recovered from a World War II fighter plane crash in Muehlanger, Germany.Howard enlisted in the United States Air Force when he was 19 years o
- Iowa gas prices stay steady Iowa, July 7- Average retail gasoline prices in Iowa have not moved in the past week, averaging $3.57/g yesterday, according to GasBuddy’s daily survey of 2,036 gas outlets in Iowa. This compares with the national average that has fallen 2.3 cents pe
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved.Independence Day, 1881, Part 2: After dark that evening, people on the Courthouse Square waited for the firework display. Five hundred dollars had been spent on fireworks. The event was promoted as “the grande
Second reading of amended rental permit ordinance
The Centerville City Council tonight at City Hall will hear the second reading of an ordinance amending the way the city deals with rental permits and associated fees.
Cincinnati fundraising meeting set
Cincinnati Development Initiative will hold a fundraising meeting at Cincinnati Community Center on Tuesday, July 8.
- Mystic's 4th celebration on the 5th MYSTIC — A bit of unusual news came out of Mystic Saturday.Not a single woman between the ages of 17 and 21 entered the Miss Mystic queen contest during Mystic's annual fourth of July celebration Saturday.One organizer said they decided to allow Miss
Democrats to hold meeting
The Democratic Central Committee will meet at Democratic Headquarters on the southeast corner of the Square on North 13th Street at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, July 8.
Miss Pancake Day, Lil Miss and Mister and Escort applications available
The Centerville Pancake Day Queen Committee is taking applications for contestants for Miss Pancake Day contestants, escorts and Lil Miss and Misters.
A.C. History: Independence Day, 1881
After dark that evening, people on the Courthouse Square waited for the firework display. Five hundred dollars had been spent on fireworks. The event was promoted as "the grandest display of the kind ever witnessed in Southern Iowa."
- Exline pie contest Friday A total of 34 pies were entered into the Exline pie contest on Friday, which was slightly down from last year, one Exline Recreation Committee member said. This year had 18 double crust and 16 single crust pies entered into the contest.The grand cham
- Grocery grab nets nearly $400 in merchandise BOB held their latest grocery grab event Wednesday morning at Hy-Vee in Centerville. Frank Rinchiuso ran through the store at 9 a.m. trying to fill up his cart as he hit each aisle, collecting groceries, toilet paper, candy, a turkey and detergent am
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved.July 3 1900: On 13th Street, at an empty storefront, a traveling showman invited people inside. They paid five cents, sat on folding chairs in the dark and watched a screen. Grainy, gray photographic images fl
- More Local News Headlines