By Michael Schaffer - Managing editor
A ballot brimming with choices is what Appanoose County voters will get when they go the polls today.
They will have no less than eight choices for United States president and vice president.
• Representing the Democrats are incumbents Barack Obama and Joe Biden.
• Representing the Republicans are Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan.
• Rounding out the presidential field are Virgil Goode and James Clymer, Constitution Party; Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala, Iowa Green Party; Gary Johnson and James P. Gray, Libertarian Party; Gloria LaRiva and Stefanie Beacham, Party for Socialism and Liberation; James Harris and Alyson Kennedy, Socialist Workers Party; and Jerry Litzel and Jim Litzel, nominated by petition.
Democrat incumbent Dave Loebsack is seeking a fourth term in the U.S. House in Iowa’s second congressional district. His challenger is Republican John Archer.
On a local level, Appanoose County voters have to pick two out of the four running for the board of supervisors: Incumbent Democrats Jody McDanel and Linda Rouse and Republican challengers Neal Smith and Larry G. McDanel.
Appanoose County voters have to pick one of three running for county sheriff: Republican incumbent Gary D. Anderson, Democrat Cliff Jones and Brian Meeker, write-in candidate.
Appanoose County voters only have one to pick for county auditor, Republican incumbent Linda Demry.
On the state level, Appanoose County voters have two choices for the Senate and two choices for the House.
• Running for state Senate District 40 are newcomers Ken Rozenboom, Republican and Tim Tripp, Democrat.
• Running for state House of Representatives District 80 are newcomers Larry Sheets, Republican and Joseph Judge, Democrat.
Supreme Court justices up for retention vote include Bruce B. Zager, Edward Mansfield, Thomas D. Waterman and David S. Wiggins. Court of appeals include Michael R. Mullins, Mary Ellen Tabor and Anuradha Vaitheswaran. District court 8A includes Lucy J. Gamon and Myron L. Gookin and district court associate Crystal S. Cronk.