DES MOINES — Molly Thomas of Centerville claimed second place in the Cooking with Pumpkin contest judged Tuesday at the 2013 Iowa State Fair. Contestants were challenged to create a dish whose main ingredient is pumpkin.
- Local News
Council to hold solicitation workshop
The Centerville City Council Monday set Thursday, July 17 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall to hold a workshop to allow public input on the ordinance preventing solicitation in city streets.
Council passes rental permits, fees
The Centerville City Council Monday night at City Hall listened to and approved the second reading of an ordinance amending the way the city deals with rental permits, fees and licenses.
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved. July 10, 1940: As America was arming itself the summer and fall of 1940, Britain was in mortal peril. Prior to invading across 26 miles of the English Channel, the Nazi Luftwaffe was bombing the British, attempting to eliminate the Royal Air Force, p
- Cincinnati has a new mayor CINCINNATI — A special meeting of the Cincinnati City Council was held at City Hall on Monday, June 30 to interview applicants for the vacant mayor position.The council reviewed a letter of intent/interest received from Mayor Pro Tem and council memb
- Online medical clinic launches in Iowa SAINT PAUL, Minn. — virtuwell.com, a web- and mobile-based online clinic designed to safely treat more than 50 common illnesses while saving time and money, is now available to anyone who lives, works, or travels within Iowa.“virtuwell reinvents the
- Butterfly presentation at Drake Public Library Carrie Stivers will give a presentation on butterflies for the Children’s Summer Reading Program Saturday, July 12 at 10 a.m. at the Drake Public Library in Centerville. Stivers’ interest in butterflies began in 1992 when she started working with the
Appanoose County Fair Queen contestants
The following are the 2014 Appanoose County Fair Queen contestants. The Queen judging will be held on Thursday, July 17 at the First United Methodist Church in Centerville at 6:30 p.m. and the crowning will be held on Monday, July 21 at the fairgrounds.
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved.July 9 1943: In darkness early on June 9-10, 1943, the U.S. 7th Army under Patton, the British 8th and the Canadian 1st Infantry under Montgomery disembarked from LST beaching crafts west and east of Cape Pass
- Missing Moulton war hero's remains identified The family of Robert E. “Bobby” Howard has received official word of positive identification of his remains recovered from a World War II fighter plane crash in Muehlanger, Germany.Howard enlisted in the United States Air Force when he was 19 years o
- Iowa gas prices stay steady Iowa, July 7- Average retail gasoline prices in Iowa have not moved in the past week, averaging $3.57/g yesterday, according to GasBuddy’s daily survey of 2,036 gas outlets in Iowa. This compares with the national average that has fallen 2.3 cents pe
- A.C. history by Enfys McMurry © 2014 Enfys McMurry All rights reserved.Independence Day, 1881, Part 2: After dark that evening, people on the Courthouse Square waited for the firework display. Five hundred dollars had been spent on fireworks. The event was promoted as “the grande
Second reading of amended rental permit ordinance
The Centerville City Council tonight at City Hall will hear the second reading of an ordinance amending the way the city deals with rental permits and associated fees.
Cincinnati fundraising meeting set
Cincinnati Development Initiative will hold a fundraising meeting at Cincinnati Community Center on Tuesday, July 8.
- Mystic's 4th celebration on the 5th MYSTIC — A bit of unusual news came out of Mystic Saturday.Not a single woman between the ages of 17 and 21 entered the Miss Mystic queen contest during Mystic's annual fourth of July celebration Saturday.One organizer said they decided to allow Miss
Democrats to hold meeting
The Democratic Central Committee will meet at Democratic Headquarters on the southeast corner of the Square on North 13th Street at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, July 8.
- More Local News Headlines
- Council to hold solicitation workshop