By Michael Schaffer - Managing editor
By Michael Schaffer
The Appanoose County Board of Supervisors met in regular session Monday, April 1 at 9 a.m. in the boardroom of the courthouse and by a 3-0 vote accepted the resignation of Appanoose County treasurer, Mary Kay Williams, effective April 26.
Williams by telephone Monday afternoon said after 26 and one-half years as the treasurer she decided it was time to move on and spend more time with her family and follow other interests.
“It has been a pleasure working for you during the last 26 1/2 years I have served as Appanoose County Treasurer,” Williams wrote in her retirement letter she submitted to the Board of Supervisors.
While Williams technically retired, because she didn’t finish out her term in office, it’s considered a resignation. Williams’ term in office would have ended at the end of 2014.
The board voted 3-0 to advertise to accept applications for appointment to Appanoose County treasurer.
In other action, all by 3-0 votes:
• Granted an easement to Centerville at no cost for the city airport.
• Approved a resolution to close 516th Street for an ATV function at 4 p.m. Saturday, April 20 and reopen it at 5 p.m. on Sunday, April 21.
• Approved DOT budget and program.
• Approved Randy Kirby's position changing to equipment operation effective March 25 at $19.19 per hour.
• Voided two tax sales and abated $2,584 in taxes. Both were mobile homes formerly located in Appanoose County. One was sold and moved out of the county and the other fell apart. One was in 2006 and the other was in 2008.
• Approved a resolution authorizing the redemption of outstanding general obligation capital loan notes, series 2007, of Appanoose County, state of Iowa, dated Sept. 1, 2007 and directing that notice of redemption be given.
• Approved a resolution appointing paying agent, note registrar and transfer agent, approving the paying agent and note registrar and transfer agent agreement and authorizing the execution of the agreement.
• Approved a resolution approving and authorizing a form of loan agreement and authorizing and providing for the issuance of General Obligation Refunding Capital Loan Notes and levying a tax to pay the notes and approval of tax exemption certificate.
• Approved an agreement for private use of Access Easement of Appanoose County as described in U.S. Corps of Engineers document No. DAC41-2-02-0024.
• Approved Emergency Crisis contract with Community Betterment.
And Diane Buss, Central Point Coordinator, stated there will be a regional meeting April 10.