• The council voted 5-0 to give Lisa Eddy, curator at the Appanoose County Historical and Coal Mining Museum, permission to hold the ninth annual Haunted History Tour at Oakland Cemetery on Oct. 26. A day light and a night time tour will be offered.
Eddy said they have local people portray deceased individuals with stories that bring them back to life and showcases the rich heritage of the community.
• Two items were removed from the agenda by the mayor at the start of the council meeting. Mayor’s appointment of Justine Heffron to fill the vacancy on the Planning and Zoning Commission and a resolution amending certain provisions in the employee handbook.
• The council voted 5-0 to accept Jan Spurgeon’s resignation from the Planning and Zoning Commission due to a conflict of interest after being named mayor.
• The council approved several board and commission re-appointments. Jon Schmidt and Brad Wardlow were re-appointed to the Airport Zoning Commission; Bill Buss was re-appointed to the Civil Service Commission; Ruthann Dickerson was re-appointed to the Municipal Housing Board; Richard Baze, John Humphrey and Louise Kennis were re-appointed to the Zoning Adjustment Board; Bill Matkovich was re-appointed to the Planning and Zoning Commission; and Carl Cisler was re-appointed to the Board of Review-Minimum Housing Standards.
• The council voted 4-1 to give Chariton Valley Planning and Development money to leverage a Community Development Block Grant for low- to moderate-income housing rehabilitation in 2014.
The plan is to request approximately $400,000 grant to rehabilitate 10 homes in Centerville. The city is offering to put up $10,000 as matching money.
The city’s cost for CVP&D to write the grant application is $3,000. The application has to be submitted by December.
Brand cast the no vote.
The city funded CVP&D before in search of a CDBG, but was not selected for a grant.