On Aug. 1, 1883, the Centerville Citizen reported a “highly successful masquerade carnival on roller skates” was held at the armory Saturday evening. “The large audience in attendance was well entertained, and everybody appeared to have a grand good time.”
On March 7, 1889, the Appanoose Iowegian reported a fire at the armory. Soon after the fire was discovered, a few minutes after 12 o’clock on Saturday, “it was a mass of flames. In a very few minutes the Armory Hall was a mass of flames.” The story goes on to say several nearby buildings also burned to the ground and Company E “lost nearly everything they had but most of that property was owned by the state.”
On May 16, 1889, the Appanoose Iowegian reported plans were under way to build a new armory and opera house to be located at the corners of South and Fifth streets. The story goes on to says plans were still being worked on for a new building measuring 40x110 feet.
On Dec. 15, 1892, the Appanoose Iowegian reported the need of an opera house in Centerville that could also be used as an armory for Company E. The story goes on to say a new building would cost between $12,000 and $15,000 and measure 60x100 feet.
The June 13, 1895 Centerville Daily Citizen ran a story with the headline, “FOR AN ARMORY. The Necessity of a Proper Building Becoming Urgent.” The story goes on to talk about the efforts by the communities of Chariton and Shenandoah to provide funds to build armories and how across Iowa armories are being built for local military companies.
“Centerville is highly favored by having two military organizations, and the people should show their appreciation by giving general support to the project now being presented to furnish an armory home for the company and the band that will be a credit to the enterprise and patriotic spirit of our town.”