We truly live in an exceptional country. In America more has been done than anything else invented by man to lift masses of people out of poverty and which would later be known as capitalism. America has excelled by following our Founding Fathers in directing our energies as our Constitution exhorts us to preservation of the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. Almost everyone agreed that America was different. So our nation has had an exceptional beginning and history. American society is tolerant, inclusive and open compared to other societies and treats all people with dignity and respect that is the envy of the world.
We and our forebearers have fashioned a country where liberty and more prosperity are more widely shared than among any other people in human history. Unlike any other nation, citizens rights were declared from the beginning to have come from God.
But we have a president who promised before the 2008 election to "fundamentally transform America." The possibility of such a transformation will turn this country into a facsimile of the social democratic regimes of western Europe. President Obama is the most anti-Israel and pro-abortion chief executive in U.S. history. America must reject such a transformation and instead return to the principles that have made this nation exceptional.
The Supreme Court decision in 1973 to make abortion legal has caused 40 years of pain and devastation with over 55 million babies killed. Although that decision by the Supreme Court made abortion legal it certainly did not make abortion right.
Technology has confirmed what we all know to be true — a pre-born baby is not a blob of tissue but a developing person. Life is a gift from God and we're all made in God's image.
Our country protects life under law. Since Focus on the Family began championing the use of ultrasound technology at pregnancy clinics, over 146,000 abortion minded women having seen their baby on the screen, have chosen life with thousands of babies having been given a chance to live.
America needs a revival of restored respect for all human life from the moment of conception until natural death. Abortion, which is contrary to our ideals, should never be part of a civilized society.
- Letters to the Editor
- Legalize fireworks? The Daily Iowegian will publish an Editorial Question of the Week on the Opinion page. The Iowegian wants readers to think about a move underway in the Iowa Legislature to lift the ban that made fireworks illegal in Iowa. Lifting the ban would in ess
- America needs a revival Dear Editor, I recently read a book entitled "If 7:14" by Bob VanderPlaats of the conservative Iowa Christian organization "The Family Leader." Mr. VanderPlaats focused his book on the Bible quotation from 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people who are call
- Community needs 'balanced thinkers' Dear Editor, Feb. 28, 2014, appearing in Daily Iowegian, captioned "Chamber unveils program," featuring an article in which the incoming president of the Chamber of Commerce, Dennis Peters revealed his proclivity for positivity, and intimates that th
- Q&A on the president's budget Q: Will the president's budget be "dead on arrival" when it reaches the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday? A: It appears lawmakers from the president's own political party are set to mark "Do Not Resuscitate" on the proposal before it even crosses the legislat
- State Sen. Ken Rozenboom Newsletter Hi Daily Iowegian! When we returned to the Senate last week floor debate and voting began in earnest. The first funnel ended last Friday and Senators had attended scores of subcommittee and committee meetings in an attempt to get bills moving before
- Social Security goes green on Earth Day and every day For years, Social Security has been at the forefront of offering convenient, easy-to-use, and secure online services. We, along with those we serve, have saved a lot of paper, shipping costs and fuel—and cut back on a lot of carbon exhaust and pollut
- Medicinal marijuana: Is it right for Iowa? The Daily Iowegian will publish an Editorial Question of the Week on the Opinion page. The Iowegian wants readers to think about medicinal marijuana. Is it right for Iowa? Twenty-one states have legalized and regulated medicinal marijuana. But not in
- 'Locked Out! Password Required' My BlackBerry (cellphone) displayed an ominous message, "Locked Out! Password Required." "No big deal, I thought. It's happened before. I'll just power down, and power back up, and it'll be cured." Not. My next fail safe was pulling out the battery a
- Farm bill is an investment in rural America The 2014 Farm Bill, passed by Congress and signed last week by President Obama, strengthens the farm safety net and ensures vital nutrition assistance for hardworking children and families during tough times. It closes loopholes and achieves much-nee
- Appanoose County SPF SIG project successes Appanoose County SPF SIG project successes Dear Editor, The Appanoose County Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant Project is funded through a grant from the Iowa Department of Public Health. Through the SPF SIG Project, a Community Co
- Outlaw webcam abortions Dear Friends, Last week was very interesting in the Iowa House. We addressed issues relating to abortion and education and less exciting issues like trailer parks. It is effectively emotional and intellectual whiplash. The house voted by a solid majo
- State Sen. Ken Rozenboom Newsletter Hi Daily Iowe gian! Maintaining the integrity of Iowa's voting rights is a responsibility we should all take seriously. Senate Republicans will gladly discuss voting process. Over the years many of us have wanted to have this discussion with the majo
- Clear the issue on nitrates Clear the issue on nitrates Dear Editor, Last Saturday at a public meeting I had the opportunity to speak with Sen. Ken Rozenboom and Rep. Larry Sheets here in Centerville. It was an interesting meeting with lots of topics covered. I asked a question
- It's the green rush and munchies It's easy to imagine an arena full of Phish fans raising and waving their lighters to honor U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder for suggesting the feds might help states that legalize pot by allowing dispensaries to utilize banking services. Way to go,
- Disgusted with the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue It disgusts me more every year. I speak of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, which is published the middle of February every year. I'm not the only one disgusted. Other folks, such as those in the American Decency Association, often criticize th
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines