The Friends of the Drake Public Library asked for sponsors and we got sponsors!
We began seeking annual corporate and personal sponsors to assist in our mission of supporting the Drake Public Library and promoting literacy on Sept. 26, 2012 and the response has been outstanding and very generous.
As of Jan. 31, 2013 we have 46 sponsors. Sponsorship levels are as follows: PLATINUM-$500 and over, GOLD-$200-$499, SILVER-$100-$199, BRONZE-$25-$99.
We are a non-profit organization with a 501 (c) (3) designation allowing donations to be tax deductible within the law. We have sponsors in Iowa living in Centerville, Mystic, Unionville, Moravia, Plano, Corydon and Iowa City and we have sponsors with Centerville connections now living in Missouri, Oklahoma, Florida, Tennessee, Nevada and Wisconsin. A list of our sponsors is displayed at the Drake Public Library. Sponsors are separate from members of the Friends of the Drake Public Library. Anyone can be a member or a sponsor. Annual membership dues are payable each January and are only $10 for families and $5 for individuals. In 2012 we had 244 individual and family memberships. We have 96 new and renewed memberships for 2013 as of Jan. 31 and we would like that figure to reach 300.
President of the Friends of the Drake Public Library
- Letters to the Editor
- Legalize fireworks? The Daily Iowegian will publish an Editorial Question of the Week on the Opinion page. The Iowegian wants readers to think about a move underway in the Iowa Legislature to lift the ban that made fireworks illegal in Iowa. Lifting the ban would in ess
- America needs a revival Dear Editor, I recently read a book entitled "If 7:14" by Bob VanderPlaats of the conservative Iowa Christian organization "The Family Leader." Mr. VanderPlaats focused his book on the Bible quotation from 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people who are call
- Community needs 'balanced thinkers' Dear Editor, Feb. 28, 2014, appearing in Daily Iowegian, captioned "Chamber unveils program," featuring an article in which the incoming president of the Chamber of Commerce, Dennis Peters revealed his proclivity for positivity, and intimates that th
- Q&A on the president's budget Q: Will the president's budget be "dead on arrival" when it reaches the U.S. Capitol on Tuesday? A: It appears lawmakers from the president's own political party are set to mark "Do Not Resuscitate" on the proposal before it even crosses the legislat
- State Sen. Ken Rozenboom Newsletter Hi Daily Iowegian! When we returned to the Senate last week floor debate and voting began in earnest. The first funnel ended last Friday and Senators had attended scores of subcommittee and committee meetings in an attempt to get bills moving before
- Social Security goes green on Earth Day and every day For years, Social Security has been at the forefront of offering convenient, easy-to-use, and secure online services. We, along with those we serve, have saved a lot of paper, shipping costs and fuel—and cut back on a lot of carbon exhaust and pollut
- Medicinal marijuana: Is it right for Iowa? The Daily Iowegian will publish an Editorial Question of the Week on the Opinion page. The Iowegian wants readers to think about medicinal marijuana. Is it right for Iowa? Twenty-one states have legalized and regulated medicinal marijuana. But not in
- 'Locked Out! Password Required' My BlackBerry (cellphone) displayed an ominous message, "Locked Out! Password Required." "No big deal, I thought. It's happened before. I'll just power down, and power back up, and it'll be cured." Not. My next fail safe was pulling out the battery a
- Farm bill is an investment in rural America The 2014 Farm Bill, passed by Congress and signed last week by President Obama, strengthens the farm safety net and ensures vital nutrition assistance for hardworking children and families during tough times. It closes loopholes and achieves much-nee
- Appanoose County SPF SIG project successes Appanoose County SPF SIG project successes Dear Editor, The Appanoose County Strategic Prevention Framework State Incentive Grant Project is funded through a grant from the Iowa Department of Public Health. Through the SPF SIG Project, a Community Co
- Outlaw webcam abortions Dear Friends, Last week was very interesting in the Iowa House. We addressed issues relating to abortion and education and less exciting issues like trailer parks. It is effectively emotional and intellectual whiplash. The house voted by a solid majo
- State Sen. Ken Rozenboom Newsletter Hi Daily Iowe gian! Maintaining the integrity of Iowa's voting rights is a responsibility we should all take seriously. Senate Republicans will gladly discuss voting process. Over the years many of us have wanted to have this discussion with the majo
- Clear the issue on nitrates Clear the issue on nitrates Dear Editor, Last Saturday at a public meeting I had the opportunity to speak with Sen. Ken Rozenboom and Rep. Larry Sheets here in Centerville. It was an interesting meeting with lots of topics covered. I asked a question
- It's the green rush and munchies It's easy to imagine an arena full of Phish fans raising and waving their lighters to honor U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder for suggesting the feds might help states that legalize pot by allowing dispensaries to utilize banking services. Way to go,
- Disgusted with the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue It disgusts me more every year. I speak of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, which is published the middle of February every year. I'm not the only one disgusted. Other folks, such as those in the American Decency Association, often criticize th
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines