The Daily Iowegian
---- — Superintendent talks about recent fire
Community School Patrons and Editor,
This letter is to inform the public about the fire at the Centerville High School on Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014.
The top priority of the Centerville Community School District is the safety and well-being of Centerville students and staff. At approximately 12:15 p.m. on Jan. 9 a fire occurred in the teachers’ lounge on the main floor in the high school. The room had flames and smoke. The fire alarms sounded and an evacuation took place.
Students and staff promptly evacuated the building and fire officials responded to the high school. The high school students were escorted to the YMCA across the street from the high school. Because of the intensity of the fire, students and staff were not allowed back in to the building. An early dismissal for the district was carried out at 1:15 p.m. Factors in this decision included; time of day, school district transportation procedures and the need for consistency for the parents of the entire district.
The high school main floor has some extensive damage due to the fire. Smoke damage has also occurred on all levels of the building to some extent. After an investigation of origin took place, school officials met with professional cleaners to assess the damage. At this time, professional cleaners will work to address the needs of the school building.
Having a safe and clean environment for the Centerville students and staff is very important. The district is committed to having a prompt and thorough cleaning of the damage caused to the school building.
The administrators and myself commend the staff and students for the excellent job in how they handled all matters related to this incident. And the excellent job by our local fire department, police department and EMS personnel for their quick and reliable response to our needs at Centerville High School.
Yours in Education,
Anthony P. Ryan
Superintendent of Schools