Moravia High School held their graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20 at 2 p.m.
The Class of 2012 includes: Abigail Bates, Brett Benjamin, Jake Comegys, Dylan Cormeny, Austin Cosgrove, Houston Fry, Molly Gheer, Quinton Hiatt, Aaron Kerr, Tyler McDanel, Shyanne McGee, Annie Moore, Zane Parham, Emily Robinson, Cheyenne Rowley, Natasha Sandberg, Noah Schwering, Cameron Scott, Lakota Smith, Megan Surber, Sabrina VanWeelden, Gabrielle Walton, Blake Weilbrenner and Allison Williams.
During the graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20, the following students received Scholarships and awards:
Jeremy Long awarded the Jimmy Carr Memorial $100 Scholarship to Aaron Kerr.
Megan Surber was awarded the Alvin Donahoo Agriculture Scholarship. Megan was also a Bunt Declamatory Contest winner for a total of $1,000.
The Moravia Community $250 Scholarship is awarded to Lakota Smith.
A $500 Ruritan Scholarship was awarded to Emily Robinson. Cheyenne Rowley and Quinton Hiatt were each awarded a $250 Ruritan Scholarship.
Harold Rowley presented Masonic Lodge $250 Scholarships to Cheyenne Rowley, Austin Cosgrove and Zane Parham. He also presented Cheyenne Rowley with the State Masonic Scholarship for $1,250.
Jared Power presented Annie Moore with a $39,346 Softball Scholarship from This Scholarship and is renewable for up to four years for a total award in excess of $157,000.
Monte McCoy presented the Iowa State Bar Association American Citizenship Award and $300 Scholarship to Lakota Smith.
Denny Whitlow presented the MTO $300 Scholarship to Allison Williams.
Brian Lindberg presented the Shelter Insurance Foundation $1,500 Scholarship to Allison Williams.
Virgil Peck presented $400 scholarships from the Moravia Nazarene Men’s Ministry group to Molly Gheer and Tyler McDanel.
Kirsten Hansen awarded a $600 Scholarship to Noah Schwering. She also awarded Allison Williams the Paul S. and Robert L. Shepherd Trust $1,500 Scholarship.
Mrs. Hansen awarded Quinton Hiatt the Vermeer Charitable Foundation $600 Scholarship. She also awarded Blake Weilbrenner a Vermeer Charitable Foundation Scholarship for $1,000. Abigail Bates was awarded a Rosenman Scholarship for full tuition. Zane Parham was awarded a Paul S. and Robert L. Shepherd Trust Scholarship for $1,500. Jake Comegys was awarded a Kathryn Johnson Trust Scholarship for $2,000. Sabrina VanWeelden was awarded a full tuition scholarship as Salutatorian. Megan Surber was awarded a $1,000 Stan Cooper Scholarship.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has awarded a $1,000 Scholarship to Zane Parham.
Shyanne McGee has received a $1,000 Scholarship from the Original La James College in Mason City, Iowa for their Cosmetology Program.
William Penn University has awarded a $15,500 Athletic Scholarship to Allison Williams.
William Penn University has awarded a $13,500 Athletic Scholarship to Austin Cosgrove.
William Penn awarded a $13,000 Athletic Scholarship to Tyler McDanel.
Central College awarded a $12,000 Presidential Scholarship to Molly Gheer. Molly was also awarded a $1,000 Journey Scholarship, a $1,000 Trustee Scholarship and a $1,500 Central Communication Scholarship. Molly was also a Bunt Declamatory Contest winner twice for a total of $1,000.
Central College awarded a $12,000 Presidential Scholarship to Lakota Smith. Lakota was also awarded a $1,000 Trustee Scholarship, a Global Scholar Grant of $500, and a Lynn D. Johnson Scholarship for $500.
Des Moines Area Community College awarded a $500 Foundation Scholarship to Cheyenne Rowley.
Des Moines Area Community College awarded a $500 Foundation Scholarship to Gabrielle Walton. Gabrielle was also awarded an Alter and Rosary Scholarship for $200.
Abigail Bates was awarded an F.W. Beckman $2,000 Scholarship.
Sabrina Van Weelden won the Bunt Brown Declamatory Contest twice for a total award of $1,000.
Each year, the teachers contribute to a fund we call the “Blue Jeans Scholarship.” This year the scholarship was awarded to Allison Williams.
This year the seniors were awarded over $139,596 in scholarships and awards.
Congratulations and best wishes to the Moravia High School Class of 2012!
Moravia High School held their graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20 at 2 p.m.
- Students receive degree from BVU STORM LAKE -- The following students graduated from Buena Vista University in December 2013. Hailey Sivetts, from Cincinnati, graduated magna cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology. Sivetts attended the Buena Vista University's Gradua
- IHCC winter term grads OTTUMWA -- Indian Hills Community College has released the names of the students who completed their graduation requirements at the end of the 2013-14 winter term. This is a list of students who received an Associate of Arts (AA) degree, Associate of
- IHCC to host Junior Day OTTUMWA -- High school juniors will have the opportunity to explore academic programs at Indian Hills Community College during Junior Day on Thursday, March 13. The day will begin with registration at 9 a.m. in the Hellyer Student Life Center and wil
- Indian Hills JAZZFEST 2014 to feature concert, competition OTTUMWA -- The 22nd annual Indian Hills Community College JAZZFEST will feature an opening concert on Friday, Feb. 21 at St. John Auditorium on the college's Ottumwa Campus. Twelve Iowa high school jazz bands will compete for ensemble and solo awards
- ISU Extension is offering a health insurance workshop OTTUMWA -- With time running out in order to meet requirements for having health insurance, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach is offering a free workshop to help Indian Hills Community College students and Wapello County residents understa
- Competition and play set for spring Students are now working on their next projects, individual speech contest and spring play -- "Check Please," by Jonathan Rand. The play will be performed at Centerville High School on Friday and Saturday, March 7-8 and it does include dinner. Doors
- Band trips approved, Howar sports expansion supported By Krystal Fowler Lifestyle Editor Band trips approved, Howar sports expansion supported
- Celebrity Night at Indian Hills Community College OTTUMWA -- The Indian Hills Community College Foundation has announced that Ottumwa native and IHCC alum Tom Arnold will be the featured speaker at the college's annual Celebrity Night Monday, March 24. It will be the 33rd annual Celebrity Night at I
- Winter choral concert performs OTTUMWA -- The Indian Hills Community College choral ensembles, under the direction of Dr. Laura Wiebe, will present their Winter Concert at the college's St. John Auditorium on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m. The groups will present a variety of Amer
- Ottumwa Regional Legacy Foundation announces scholarship The Ottumwa Regional Legacy Foundation announces that it will be accepting applications to its Laboratory Control Ltd. Health Career Scholarship Program for the 2014-2015 school year beginning Feb. 1. Since 2004, when the program was developed, over
- Special school board meeting held Jan. 31 The Centerville Community School District Board of Education Friday, Jan. 31 during a special meeting that started at 4 p.m. in the administration building accepted one retirement, received an insurance payment for the recent fire and made the final
- Flattery named Dean's List FAYETTE -- Melissa Flattery of Centerville was named to the Upper Iowa University 2013 fall Dean's List. To be honored, the undergraduate must have earned a minimum 3.50 GPA for the semester and be enrolled as a full-time student. For more informatio
- Iowa State University announces fall graduates At Iowa State University's winter commencement ceremonies, 1,821 students received degrees. Iowa State awarded 1,515 undergraduate degrees, 198 master's degrees and 108 doctor of philosophy degrees.Of the students receiving bachelor's degrees, 297 gr
- CHS first semester honor roll Centerville High School first semester honor roll 12th grade Anderson, Austin James *Armington, Jared Ryan Bachman, Branson Wayne Barrell, Holly Rae *Bennett, Madilyn Summers *Bowen, Tabitha Ann Brandt, Lavan Devon *Braster, Lewis Manuel Bratz, Tucke
- Conference honor band Conference honor band Centerville high school is hosting this years conference honor band Wednesday, Feb. 29. Selected students from Centerville, Clarke, Davis County, Chariton, Eddyville-Blakesburg and Albia high schools will come together to form
- More Education Headlines