Moravia High School held their graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20 at 2 p.m.
The Class of 2012 includes: Abigail Bates, Brett Benjamin, Jake Comegys, Dylan Cormeny, Austin Cosgrove, Houston Fry, Molly Gheer, Quinton Hiatt, Aaron Kerr, Tyler McDanel, Shyanne McGee, Annie Moore, Zane Parham, Emily Robinson, Cheyenne Rowley, Natasha Sandberg, Noah Schwering, Cameron Scott, Lakota Smith, Megan Surber, Sabrina VanWeelden, Gabrielle Walton, Blake Weilbrenner and Allison Williams.
During the graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20, the following students received Scholarships and awards:
Jeremy Long awarded the Jimmy Carr Memorial $100 Scholarship to Aaron Kerr.
Megan Surber was awarded the Alvin Donahoo Agriculture Scholarship. Megan was also a Bunt Declamatory Contest winner for a total of $1,000.
The Moravia Community $250 Scholarship is awarded to Lakota Smith.
A $500 Ruritan Scholarship was awarded to Emily Robinson. Cheyenne Rowley and Quinton Hiatt were each awarded a $250 Ruritan Scholarship.
Harold Rowley presented Masonic Lodge $250 Scholarships to Cheyenne Rowley, Austin Cosgrove and Zane Parham. He also presented Cheyenne Rowley with the State Masonic Scholarship for $1,250.
Jared Power presented Annie Moore with a $39,346 Softball Scholarship from This Scholarship and is renewable for up to four years for a total award in excess of $157,000.
Monte McCoy presented the Iowa State Bar Association American Citizenship Award and $300 Scholarship to Lakota Smith.
Denny Whitlow presented the MTO $300 Scholarship to Allison Williams.
Brian Lindberg presented the Shelter Insurance Foundation $1,500 Scholarship to Allison Williams.
Virgil Peck presented $400 scholarships from the Moravia Nazarene Men’s Ministry group to Molly Gheer and Tyler McDanel.
Kirsten Hansen awarded a $600 Scholarship to Noah Schwering. She also awarded Allison Williams the Paul S. and Robert L. Shepherd Trust $1,500 Scholarship.
Mrs. Hansen awarded Quinton Hiatt the Vermeer Charitable Foundation $600 Scholarship. She also awarded Blake Weilbrenner a Vermeer Charitable Foundation Scholarship for $1,000. Abigail Bates was awarded a Rosenman Scholarship for full tuition. Zane Parham was awarded a Paul S. and Robert L. Shepherd Trust Scholarship for $1,500. Jake Comegys was awarded a Kathryn Johnson Trust Scholarship for $2,000. Sabrina VanWeelden was awarded a full tuition scholarship as Salutatorian. Megan Surber was awarded a $1,000 Stan Cooper Scholarship.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society has awarded a $1,000 Scholarship to Zane Parham.
Shyanne McGee has received a $1,000 Scholarship from the Original La James College in Mason City, Iowa for their Cosmetology Program.
William Penn University has awarded a $15,500 Athletic Scholarship to Allison Williams.
William Penn University has awarded a $13,500 Athletic Scholarship to Austin Cosgrove.
William Penn awarded a $13,000 Athletic Scholarship to Tyler McDanel.
Central College awarded a $12,000 Presidential Scholarship to Molly Gheer. Molly was also awarded a $1,000 Journey Scholarship, a $1,000 Trustee Scholarship and a $1,500 Central Communication Scholarship. Molly was also a Bunt Declamatory Contest winner twice for a total of $1,000.
Central College awarded a $12,000 Presidential Scholarship to Lakota Smith. Lakota was also awarded a $1,000 Trustee Scholarship, a Global Scholar Grant of $500, and a Lynn D. Johnson Scholarship for $500.
Des Moines Area Community College awarded a $500 Foundation Scholarship to Cheyenne Rowley.
Des Moines Area Community College awarded a $500 Foundation Scholarship to Gabrielle Walton. Gabrielle was also awarded an Alter and Rosary Scholarship for $200.
Abigail Bates was awarded an F.W. Beckman $2,000 Scholarship.
Sabrina Van Weelden won the Bunt Brown Declamatory Contest twice for a total award of $1,000.
Each year, the teachers contribute to a fund we call the “Blue Jeans Scholarship.” This year the scholarship was awarded to Allison Williams.
This year the seniors were awarded over $139,596 in scholarships and awards.
Congratulations and best wishes to the Moravia High School Class of 2012!
Moravia High School held their graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 20 at 2 p.m.
- School board reviews legislative priorities The Centerville School Board met for a regular meeting Monday, July 14, welcoming new member Steve Hoch, who replaced Tom Lange after his resignation.High School band director Jim DePrizio approached the board to see if the Band Boosters could receiv
- Students named to thespring semester Dean's List AMES — More than 7,024 Iowa State University undergraduates have been recognized for outstanding academic achievement by being named to the 2014 spring semester Dean’s List. Students named to the Dean’s List must have earned a grade point average of
- Widmar, Warren make Dean's List Danielle Widmar, daughter of Linda and Chris Widmar of Centerville and Kolby Warren, daughter of Brad and Paige Warren of Cincinnati, were named to the Dean’s List at Simpson College in Indianola for the spring semester. To be named to the Dean’s Lis
- Hunt on President's List DES MOINES — Katherine Hunt of Centerville was named to the President’s List at Drake University for the spring 2014 semester. Students must achieve a perfect 4.0 grade-point average to earn this honor.Drake University is a midsized, highly selective
- Spring 2014 Dean's List announced MOUNT PLEASANT — Dr. Richard McCallum, vice president for academic affairs and dean at Iowa Wesleyan College, Mount Pleasant, has announced the names of students who have qualified for the 2014 spring semester Dean’s List. The Dean’s List recognizes
- Dagat named to college's President's List CANTON, Mo. — Lei Alena Dagat, sophomore nursing major from Centerville, was named to Culver-Stockton’s President’s List for work done during the spring 2014 semester.To be named to the President’s List, Culver-Stockton College requires students to m
- Berner graduates from Luther College DECORAH — Luther College held commencement ceremonies for the Class of 2014 at 10 a.m. Sunday, May 25 in Luther College’s Carlson Stadium.Luther senior Katie Berner of Centerville, daughter of Paul and Cathy Berner, graduated with the class of 2014.
- Northwest Missouri State announces spring 2014 graduates MARYVILLE, Mo. — The office of the Registrar and the Graduate School at Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Mo. have released the names of students who completed requirements for degrees at the conclusion of the 2014 spring trimester.Ma
- Linn State announces honor roll LINN, Mo. — Linn State Technical College would like to congratulate students who achieved academic excellence during the 2014 spring semester. To be placed on the honor roll, a full-time student must earn a semester grade point average between 3.0 an
- Area Graceland University grads LAMONI — Graceland University celebrates the graduation achievement of 500 graduates, hailing from 38 states and 11 countries. Graceland graduates were awarded 313 bachelor’s degrees, 181 master’s degrees, and the very first six Doctor of Nursing Pra
- Buena Vista Dean's List STORM LAKE -- The following students were named to the Dean's List for Buena Vista University's Graduate & Professional Studies for terms three and four: Lenzi Jones of Centerville. Jones attends the Ottumwa Buena Vista University Graduate & Professi
- Howar Junior High seventh grade awards 2013-2014 Editor's Note: The Howar Junior High eighth grade awards will run next week. Alexander, Gage: Howar Junior High Academic Award, Keyboarding Award, Language Arts Award-1st Semester, Language Arts Award-2nd Semester, Pre-Algebra Award, Social Studies A
- IHCC partners with WPU OTTUMWA -- Indian Hills Community College and William Penn University have announced a partnership that should provide a seamless academic progression for nurses who choose to enroll in a RN-BSN program after receiving their registered nursing licens
- Centerville School Board approves Master Agreement The Centerville School Board accepted several resignations and retirements during their Monday meeting. Those resigning included high school science teacher Anthony Jahr, junior high band teacher Robert Coe and high school math teacher Kate Hash. Joa
- Students create panels for business A coalition of students, some who worked on the project despite not having an art class, created letter panels for Centerville Greenhouses. Under the direction of Randy Marcussen, Howar Junior High and PK-2 Centerville Community Schools art teacher,
- More Education Headlines