In 1939, Voxman joined the faculty of the UI School of Music and subsequently served as its director from 1954 until his retirement in 1980. While at the university, he taught and mentored hundreds of students, including many who joined the ranks of the nation’s outstanding music performers, educators, and administrators. He served as advisor to more than 40 doctoral students.
Voxman is undoubtedly best known throughout the United States and Europe for his innumerable music publications, selling millions of volumes in the past 60 years. For decades his compilations and editions have formed the standard texts for aspiring and advanced wind musicians. His long-term archival research in European libraries has brought to light an extensive, invaluable list of previously unpublished 18th- and 19th-century wind solo and chamber works, serving as the basis for many of his widely used publications.
The School of Music’s former building — also named after Voxman — was among the facilities lost to the flood of 2008. The new building will be located at the intersection of Clinton and Burlington streets in downtown Iowa City. Designed by LMN Architects of Seattle and Neumann Monson Architects of Iowa City, the new building will feature a largely glass exterior, a 700-seat concert hall, a 200-seat recital hall, an organ performance hall, opera and chamber music rehearsal spaces, faculty studios, classrooms, and individual rehearsal spaces.
The new Voxman Music Building will provide a central home for the School of Music, which currently occupies spaces throughout campus.