In 1983 Vicki Baty of Moravia bought both the Moulton Tribune and the Moravia Union from Brunow. Baty, publisher of both papers used a semi-combined format with page laying being done at Moravia for both papers and the actual printing being done at Albia.
Cincinnati has had three newspapers. The Cincinnati Local was started in 1n 1877 by W.W. Yarham but published only a short time. The Cincinnati Review was started by W.A. Martin and his son D.R. in 1892. They sold to John H. May the following year, and he continued to publish a good paper for many years. Glenn Reed started the Cincinnati X Ray in 1925, a Klux Klan paper designed to expose things. He folded the operation the following year and left for Florida, never to return.
The Exline Messenger was established and printed in Exline by John H. May in 1907 as editor and proprietor until 1918. Publication ceased, but was re-established in 1922 and printed by the Cincinnati Review with Glenn Reed as publisher. It quit with final publication in 1923.
Mystic, though a late blooming city, had marvelous growth through the coal mining era. The Mystic Telegram was founded in 1906 by W.C. Raymond. After six months he sold his enterprise to Roy Godsey. The latter disposed of the plant within three months to R.A. Scott who gave his large clientele a newsy and popular little paper for some years. It was published weekly and had six columns with a progressive political flavor.
It seems that the press, though a laudable occupation, was not especially remunerative for many who had high hopes, often dashed by eventual failure. Others carried forth the banner in commendable fashion.