On March 1, 1903, Barrows sold the Iowegian to two young men, Jesse M. Beck of Muscatine and John R. Needham of Sigourney for $6,000. Beck had married Edna Pauline Needham of Sigourney, so the two men were brothers-in-law. In 1905 the business was moved to the present location on Main St., south of the square. Beck and Needham was a successful partnership. 1916 they finally purchased the Citizen from Mr. Needles, whereupon the Iowegian became a daily paper, known as the Daily Iowegian and Citizen..
In 1911, yet another newspaper joined the field, the Centerville Weekly Sun, published by T.W. Killion. However the Iowegian was gaining a dominant position and the Sun suspended publication in about 1917.
In 1924, the Journal equipment was purchased by sympathizers of the Ku Klux Klan and it became a daily named the Southern Iowa American. One of the new owners was J.Roy Wright, the Exalted Cyclops of the Appanoose Klan. The showdown between the American and the Iowegian swirled around the city election of March 1925. The American supported a pro-Klan ticket and the Iowegian against the Klan. The Klan ticket lost the vote and the Southern Iowa American ceased to exist in 1926.
In 1937, Robert K. Beck, a graduate of Iowa Wesleyan College, joined his father and his uncle (Mr. Needham). World War II interrupted and he was gone three years serving in the Navy. Meanwhile his uncle, John R. Needham died in Oct., 1943. Within two month’s of Robert’s discharge from the Navy, his father, Jesse M. Beck suffered a mild stroke. He was 72, having worked hard during the trying war years and longer than he had planned.
Robert Beck was thrust into managerial responsibilities at age 30. Notable key people were Clyde Triebswetter in circulation, Bill Hayes in advertising and Gladys and Charlie De Puy in news. Jesse M. Beck and Robert K. Beck both received the highest professional award, the Master Editor Publisher.