There were also four mines along the old route Highway No. 2 (before relocation north) going west from the railroad crossing. They were, in sequence, D.C. Coal Co., Douglas Coal Co., the Stepnoski Mine and Walnut Coal Co. The D.C. Coal Co. was 62 acres with a 70 foot shaft and operated from 1941 to 1966. D.C. stands for Dooley and Cathcart, and Johnny Cathcart ran the mine. The Douglas Coal Co. was a ten acre slope mine and operated from 1934 to 1942. Originally it was known as the Hog Farm Mine, as it was located on the old Hog Farm Corner, later the scene of so many automobile accidents. The Stepnoski Mine was 2 acres with a 60 foot shaft and operated from 1935 to 1942. It was connected underground to the Douglas Mine. The Walnut Creek Coal Co. was 27 acres with a 75 foot shaft and operated from 1934 to 1943. It was just south of Walnut Creek.