Ad-Express and Daily Iowegian, Centerville, IA

Community News Network

April 17, 2013

Video shows possible Boston bomb suspect

(Continued)

BOSTON —

Mid-day reports by CNN, AP and local media outlets that a suspect had been taken into custody and would be arraigned at the federal courthouse caused confusion across the city. Hordes of reporters quickly gathered at the waterfront courthouse in anticipation of the suspect's appearance only to be told no one had been arrested. 

In the two days since the bombings, forensic experts wearing white coveralls and getting down on their knees have meticuously checked the crime scene  for bomb scraps and blood stains for any possible DNA evidence tied to known terrorists.

Officials Wednesday identified the third person killed in the bombings as Lingzi Lu, 23, a Chinese graduate student studying math and statistics at Boston University. Friends said she had gone to the marathon with two other Chinese students, one of whom was seriously injured. Lu, an only child, grew up in Shenyang in northeast China. Her father was en route to Boston to claim his daughter's body.

The bomb blasts also killed 8-year-old Martin Richard of Boston, who was at the marathon with his family, and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, a restaurant manager from Arlington, Mass., who had gone to the race to take a photo of her girlfriend's boyfriend crossing the finish line.

Several of the injured remained in critical condition at Boston hospitals, suffering shattered bones and severe shrapnel wounds. At least eight of the wounded underwent leg or arm amputation operations.

Dr. Peter Burke, chief of trauma surgery at Boston Medical Center, said many of the victims arrived in the emergency room with metal objects deeply embedded in their flesh and with destroyed blood vessels, and with shredded muscle and fat.

"As an orthopedic surgeon, we see patients like this, with mangled extremities, but we don't see 16 of them at the same time, and we don't see patients from blast injuries," said Burke.

Text Only
Community News Network
Obituaries
Featured Ads
Poll

The Iowegian wants readers to think about the solicitation ordinance that will prevent groups or individuals from entering a roadway to solicit money. The Centerville City Council in June by a 5-0 vote passed the first reading of just such an ordinance. Public pressure and during a subsequent special meeting, the council voted 3-2 to table the ordinance. A second special meeting to discuss the solicitation ordinance is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 7 at City Hall. So, the question of the week is, "Do you or do you not support the ordinance to prevent solicitation of funds in city streets?"

A. I support the ordinance
B. I do not support the ordinance
C. Not sure
     View Results
Iowegian on Facebook