A well-known Centerville business has changed its name, expanded its line of products, increased its showroom space and survived a fire.
And on Saturday they held a grand opening to celebrate while participating in the Holiday Sampler Open House.
Your Square Deal Maytag on the west side of the Centerville Square is now known as Your Square Deal Furniture and Appliances.
They’ve gone from a 2,000 square-foot showroom that sold Maytag, KitchenAide and Amana appliances and added 3,000 square-feet of showroom after purchasing the building space to their north.
Besides appliances, they have added furniture, mattresses, end tables, cabinets, office desks, book cases, accessories, pillows and wall art by Centerville artist Marybeth Heikes to their product line.
“Everything for sale for the house,” owner Kevin Wiskus said, “from living room, dining room, bedroom.”
Wiskus called the expansion a two-year process that germinated after he had attended a trade show and because of the products offered, he decided they needed to start offering mattresses but he didn’t have enough room.
“So it’s been a two-year desire to do that,” Wiskus said. “But it wasn’t until the building space next to us opened up that we were able to have the space in order to do that.”
However, it was the actions of local fire departments and one Centerville High School student who prevented a fire from spreading into his store in late September that Wiskus credits for being able to have a grand opening.
Wiskus praised the actions of the Centerville, Moravia and Moulton fire departments when they battled the late September fire that threatened his business. Wiskus also had high praise for Centerville High School student, Nick McCann, for the actions he took to battle the fire.
“We are open today because of Nick McCann, who was just down the alley, saw the fire, he ran down the alley with a fire extinguisher. That wasn’t enough. He went back and he got a hose,” Wiskus said. “He did everything he could do to contain the fire until the Centerville Fire Department could be here. The Centerville Fire Department, the Moravia Fire Department and the Moulton Fire Department saved this building because the fire was burning through the roof and it was inside of the building through the roof.”