Ad-Express and Daily Iowegian, Centerville, IA


June 21, 2012

Programs help residents make health, safety repairs

DES MOINES — Local homeowners are invited to a meeting from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Friday, June 29 at the Albia Area Chamber of Commerce, 18 S. Main St., Albia, to learn more about home repair loan and grants from USDA Rural Development and the Chariton Valley Regional Housing Trust Fund.

USDA Rural Development offers home repair loans with a fixed interest rate of 1 percent and typically may be repaid over a term of 20 years. Grants are also available to help qualifying applicants, who are 62 or older, remove health and safety hazards or to make the home accessible for a disabled family member.

CVRHTF staff will be promoting their program which also offers financial loan and grant assistance to low and moderate income homeowners in Appanoose, Lucas, Monroe or Wayne counties to make necessary and needed improvements to their homes. The maximum assistance for a grant or loan through CVRHTF is $5,000 per household.

Repairs eligible for assistance through both programs include such things as roofs, windows, siding, handicapped accessibility, electrical upgrades, insulation, furnace replacements, painting, demolition, plumbing repairs, porch removal or repair, septic tank/sewer improvements, hot water heater replacement. Mobile and manufactured homes are not eligible for the CVRHTF programs.

To qualify for USDA Rural Development home repair loan or grant assistance the household income must fall under income limits for the county and household size. For most counties, a one-person household must have an adjusted income of $20,800 or less, and a two-person household must have an adjusted income of $23,750 or less.  Income limits vary from county to county and increase for larger household sizes.

For more information about housing programs through CVRHTF, call Jennifer Appler or Patti Lind at (641) 856-2173 or toll free at (888) 222-8943. You can also visit with them in the office between 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at 307 N. 13th St., Suite 500 in Centerville.

Text Only
Featured Ads

The Iowegian wants readers to think about rental permit fees. The Centerville City Council has conducted two working sessions and a third one is planned in order to get a feel for the public's appetite about raising rental permit fees from charging a landlord $25 every two years to charging a certain amount per rental unit per year. So, the question of the week is, "Are you in favor of Centerville increasing rental permit fees?"

A. I'm in favor.
B. I'm not in favor.
C. I'm not sure.
     View Results
Iowegian on Facebook
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide