- Top honors goes to Gerths in Iowa State Fair Sheep Show DES MOINES — Hunter Gerths of Albia won the Grand Champion banner in the Jackpot Lamb show Sunday at the 2013 Iowa State Fair. In Purebred Hampshire Cody Wynn, of Albia, took first and Prater Club Lambs, of Moravia, took seventh. In Purebred Suffolk
- Two locals exhibit in 4-H Market Beef Show DES MOINES — Tori Freeman, of Allerton, exhibited the Reserve Champion Chianina and Chloe Goretska, of Corydon, exhibited the Champion Crossbred Division 1 in the 4-H Market Beef Show Aug. 14 at the 2013 Iowa State Fair.
- Martin shows at Fair Kylee Martin shows at Fair DES MOINES -- Kylee Martin of Centerville showed the Champion Buck in the FFA Meat Goat Show judged Thursday at the 2013 Iowa State Fair. 4-H Market Beef Show DES MOINES -- Tori Freeman, of Allerton, exhibited the Reserv
- Hoover Hill represents well at Iowa State Fair Lowline Show DES MOINES -- Hoover Hill Lowlines, of Centerville brought home many awards from the Lowline Cattle Show Aug. 15 at the 2013 Iowa State Fair. Results for Hoover Hill Lowlines, of Centerville: PB% Junior Heifer Calf -- Jan. 1 - Feb. 28, 2013 1) Hoover
- Centerville volunteers at Iowa State Fair The Centerville FFA Chapter volunteered at Little Hands on the Farm on Aug. 9 at the Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center at the Iowa State Fair. Little Hands on the Farm teaches children in a fun way with a hands-on exhibit that shows importance of
- Local Iowa farmers, families recognized ANKENY — Iowa soybean farmers were well represented today at the second annual Iowa Farm Environmental Leader Award ceremony at the Iowa State Fair. Sixty-two Iowa farmers and farm families — more than two-thirds were Iowa Soybean Association member
- Funds for water quality practices DES MOINES - Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Bill Northey announced today that cost share funds are available to help farmers install nutrient reduction practices. The initial practices that are prioritized for funding this fall are cover crops, no-til
- The 2013 Soil and Water Conservation poster winners The 2013 Soil and Water Conservation poster contest was held at the Appanoose County Soil and Water Conservation Office. This year's theme was "Where Does Your Water Shed." Students from Seymour Community Schools participated and the winners in Divis
- Centerville FFA receives $700 grant Centerville FFA received a $700 "Working Here Fund" grant to support its "Aggies are Readers" program this fall. The grant is provided through Farm Credit Services of America's "Working Here Fund." The grant will enable a classroom set of two book ti
- SWCD scholarship winners The Appanoose County Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners awarded a total of five, $500 scholarships for the 2013-2014 school year. The students are Mandalyn Martin, Kalen Martsching, Kyle Neher, Madison Probasco and Shelby Thamke.
- McMurry is guest speaker Enfys McMurry, of Corydon, born in Wales, a well-known local educator, historian, author and public speaker, was the guest speaker at the 2013 Appanoose County Farm Bureau annual meeting attended by 85 people July 30 at the Faith United Methodist Chu
- 4-H culinary challenge 4-H culinary challenge AMES - The burners are running on high as teams are announced for the 2013 Cook This! Culinary Challenge. Twenty-eight teams from across the state will compete at three age levels (junior, intermediate and senior) to show that
- IFB members visit Chicago Board of Trade WEST DES MOINES - A group of 50 Iowa Farm Bureau members left their fields this week and visited the trading floor as they traveled to the Windy City on an Iowa Farm Bureau Federation-sponsored marketer's trip to view in person the trading of the com
Centerville FFA students attend judging clinic
Veterinary doctor Doug Anderson from Davenport gives a demonstration on horse tooth health and how to properly use a float on a horse.
Centerville FFA attends V-Smart camp
Centerville FFA members attended the V-Smart (Veterinary Student Mixed Animal Recruitment) Vet Camp on Saturday, April 6 in Ames at the ISU Vet College.
- More Agriculture Headlines